'Cakes and Cupcakes': Lion House head baker offers easy tips to making cakes, cupcakes
Place popcorn, gumdrops/M&Ms, and nuts in an extra large bowl. Combine sugar, corn syrup, water and butter in a saucepan. Cook on high until sugar mixture begins to boil; turn to low and cook until mixture reaches 240 degrees F on a candy thermometer. Remove from heat and allow to cool 5 minutes. Add vanilla and food coloring and stir until well mixed. Pour syrup over popcorn mixture and stir until popcorn is well coated with syrup. Press mixture into the pan. Allow to cool 5 minutes and then unmold cake. Place on a serving plate. Slice servings with a sharp knife. This cake may also be wrapped in plastic wrap and frozen.
Bche De Nol (Yule Log)
Makes 10 to 12 servings
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
1⁄3 cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla
3⁄4 cup flour
1⁄4 cup cocoa
1 teaspoon baking powder
1⁄4 teaspoon salt
1⁄2 cup raspberry preserves
3⁄4 cup powdered sugar
1 cup heavy cream
Green and red candied cherries, for garnish
Yule Log Frosting
1⁄3 cup cocoa
1⁄3 cup margarine, softened
2 cups powdered sugar
1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
1–2 tablespoons hot water
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a 13 x 18-inch jelly roll pan with waxed paper; grease.
For cake: Beat eggs in a large mixing bowl on high speed until thick and lemon colored, about 5 minutes. Gradually beat in 1 cup sugar. Beat in water and vanilla on low speed. In a separate bowl, sift together flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt; add to egg mixture, beating just until batter is smooth. Pour batter into jelly roll pan. Bake 15 minutes. Cool 5 minutes and then turn out onto a dish towel sprinkled with powdered sugar. Remove waxed paper and roll up cake and towel together from short end; set aside to cool.
While cake is cooling, beat heavy cream with 2 tablespoons sugar until stiff. Unroll cake and spread raspberry preserves evenly over cake and then spread whipped cream over preserves. Roll up again (without towel) and place seam side down on a serving plate. Cover roll with Yule Log Frosting, making strokes with tines of fork to resemble bark. Decorate with green and red candied cherries. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
For frosting: Beat cocoa, margarine, powdered sugar and vanilla in a medium mixing bowl. Add hot water a little at a time until frosting is smooth and of spreading consistency.
Lion House Cheesecake
Makes about 12 to 14 servings
1 1⁄2 cups finely crushed graham cracker crumbs
3 tablespoons sugar
6 tablespoons butter, melted
3 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons lemon juice
3⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups sour cream
3 tablespoons sugar
1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- Davis County honor student arrested in deaths...
- Abercrombie & Fitch CEO posts statement on...
- Woman uses public punishment to teach a...
- Boy Scouts of America to make membership...
- 18-year-old musician dies after inspiring...
- Stories behind viral Oklahoma tragedy photos...
- Habitual overeating learned in infancy, BYU...
- Why $1 billion doesn't mean what it used to...
- Woman uses public punishment to teach a... 27
- Abused parents: Tykes deliver crushing... 12
- Abercrombie & Fitch CEO posts statement... 11
- Davis County honor student arrested in... 10
- Salt Lake City has highest rate of... 4
- 18-year-old musician dies after... 4
- Habitual overeating learned in infancy,... 3
- Boy Scouts of America to make... 3