Lewis Jacobs, NBC
LOS ANGELES — At the conclusion to Season 3 for "The Sing-Off," a five-member group from Arlington, Texas, called Pentatonix took the top spot chosen by the television audience.
The Dartmouth Aires from Hanover, N.H., shared the top spot briefly after Urban Method, the group from Denver, Colo., was eliminated after three million votes were tallied.
Utahn Nic Chuaqui is part of the Dartmouth Aires.
The men's a cappella group from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints' Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah, Vocal Point, stayed in the running for the $200,000 cash prize, the season championship title and a Sony recording contract, for nine weeks of competition.
Vocal Point also returned for the season finale with Keith Evans singing one of the lead vocals in the male singers' feature "Born to Run" number.
Delilah, an all-female group comprised of singers gleaned from the show's first two seasons, returned as well. Two Mormon singers, Amy Lynn Whitcomb and Laina Walker, are in the group. Whitcomb took a lead vocal role in the women's feature song.
Vocal Point and Delilah, along with the other top 10 groups, will perform in the show's Christmas finale which will air Monday, Dec. 5, at 8 p.m. on NBC.
Sharon Haddock is a professional writer with 35 years experience, 17 at the Deseret News. Her personal blog is at sharonhaddock.blogspot.com.
- National Spelling Bee co-champions include...
- The Clean Cut: 10-year-old girl performs on...
- Movie review: Beckinsale showcases classic...
- Chris Hicks: Gear up for Memorial Day by...
- 'Odysseo' extends stay in Utah to June 13
- A black-and-white, sometimes Technicolor...
- Why would anyone want to keep up with the...
- Video game review: 'Star Fox Zero' is a fun...
- Movie review: Overstuffed 'X-Men:... 2
- Chris Hicks: Gear up for Memorial Day... 1
- National Spelling Bee co-champions... 0
- The Clean Cut: 10-year-old girl... 0
- Movie review: Beckinsale showcases... 0
- 'Odysseo' extends stay in Utah to June 13 0
- A black-and-white, sometimes... 0
- Why would anyone want to keep up with... 0