Lewis Jacobs, NBC
LOS ANGELES — At the conclusion to Season 3 for "The Sing-Off," a five-member group from Arlington, Texas, called Pentatonix took the top spot chosen by the television audience.
The Dartmouth Aires from Hanover, N.H., shared the top spot briefly after Urban Method, the group from Denver, Colo., was eliminated after three million votes were tallied.
Utahn Nic Chuaqui is part of the Dartmouth Aires.
The men's a cappella group from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints' Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah, Vocal Point, stayed in the running for the $200,000 cash prize, the season championship title and a Sony recording contract, for nine weeks of competition.
Vocal Point also returned for the season finale with Keith Evans singing one of the lead vocals in the male singers' feature "Born to Run" number.
Delilah, an all-female group comprised of singers gleaned from the show's first two seasons, returned as well. Two Mormon singers, Amy Lynn Whitcomb and Laina Walker, are in the group. Whitcomb took a lead vocal role in the women's feature song.
Vocal Point and Delilah, along with the other top 10 groups, will perform in the show's Christmas finale which will air Monday, Dec. 5, at 8 p.m. on NBC.
Sharon Haddock is a professional writer with 35 years experience, 17 at the Deseret News. Her personal blog is at sharonhaddock.blogspot.com.
- Profane, award-winning 'Book of Mormon'...
- 'Pay the price or go dark': Going digital a...
- Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit offers chance to...
- Instead of 'Game of Thrones,' there are...
- Kids are still reading 'Calvin and Hobbes'
- First look at modernized 'Annie' produced by...
- Book review: Brandon Sanderson's 'Words of...
- Director Darren Aronofsky’s...
- Profane, award-winning 'Book of Mormon'... 47
- 'Son of God' is strong on production,... 20
- Director Darren Aronofsky’s... 19
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Our love-hate... 11
- Instead of 'Game of Thrones,' there are... 9
- 'Pay the price or go dark': Going... 9
- Kids are still reading 'Calvin and Hobbes' 6
- Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit offers chance... 5