Lewis Jacobs, NBC
LOS ANGELES — At the conclusion to Season 3 for "The Sing-Off," a five-member group from Arlington, Texas, called Pentatonix took the top spot chosen by the television audience.
The Dartmouth Aires from Hanover, N.H., shared the top spot briefly after Urban Method, the group from Denver, Colo., was eliminated after three million votes were tallied.
Utahn Nic Chuaqui is part of the Dartmouth Aires.
The men's a cappella group from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints' Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah, Vocal Point, stayed in the running for the $200,000 cash prize, the season championship title and a Sony recording contract, for nine weeks of competition.
Vocal Point also returned for the season finale with Keith Evans singing one of the lead vocals in the male singers' feature "Born to Run" number.
Delilah, an all-female group comprised of singers gleaned from the show's first two seasons, returned as well. Two Mormon singers, Amy Lynn Whitcomb and Laina Walker, are in the group. Whitcomb took a lead vocal role in the women's feature song.
Vocal Point and Delilah, along with the other top 10 groups, will perform in the show's Christmas finale which will air Monday, Dec. 5, at 8 p.m. on NBC.
Sharon Haddock is a professional writer with 35 years experience, 17 at the Deseret News. Her personal blog is at sharonhaddock.blogspot.com.
- Video: Miss Utah USA flubs answer at Miss USA...
- NPR writer 'slightly' defends Miss Utah USA's...
- Miss Utah USA gets second chance at question...
- BYU students win Student Gold ADDY award for...
- Tip for living: 'Day of Defense' tackles...
- Superman continues history of casting...
- Utah's Hogle Zoo: Fun and educational...
- The Superman movies that almost happened
- Video: Miss Utah USA flubs answer at... 26
- NPR writer 'slightly' defends Miss Utah... 12
- Superman continues history of casting... 5
- Why Jay Leno is trouncing David... 4
- Miss Utah USA gets second chance at... 4
- Book review: 'Esther the Queen'... 3
- Utah's Hogle Zoo: Fun and educational... 2
- 'Starlight Express' races onto the... 1