One year after killing, Sherry Black's family hopes to reopen bookstore
"She did most of the work before as far as organization, now I have to learn about books. I know a lot about books, but she was the brains," Earl Black said.
"She had it all in her head," Miller added.
Neither Black nor police had any new information about the case to release Monday. A motive for the crime and whether books or anything else was taken is still part of the ongoing investigation. The cash register still had money in it when police arrived.
When asked about speculation whether Black's involvement with rare LDS books was a possible motive, South Salt Lake police officer Gary Keller said it was "one of many" theories being investigated.
Keller called the investigation into Black's death "very active."
A memorial will be held for Sherry Black on Wednesday at Wasatch Lawn Memorial, 3401 S. Highland Drive. In addition, a tree at this year's Festival of Trees is being donated in her name. The tree has a "traditions and memories" theme and will include her love of reading.
One of Sherry's favorite traditions was getting together with family over the Christmas season, Miller said. The family wanted to "keep her traditions and memories alive" this year.
"That's the part that's the hardest. We have such a love for the holidays and love getting together as a family, and this is the time I get angry when we should have her with us and she was just taken from us," Miller said
The family is asking anyone in the public who has information about the slaying to report it to police.
"This is a violent, brutal, awful person that needs to be caught before he does it to someone else's mother or grandmother or wife," said Miller, who described the past year as surreal. "We never in a million years would have thought this would happen to us."
Tips can be called to South Salt Lake police at 801-840-4000, or texts can be sent to CRIMES, or 274637.
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- How new technology is reshaping pacemakers
- Why Pioneer Day is so important to Utahns
- Man gets jail time for attempted recruitment...
- Friction over Trump between GOP, Utah...
- Too many boaters not stopping for quagga...
- Jordan board calls for special bond election...
- Family of slain man who killed police K9...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- Utah GOP delegates finally fired up... 74
- Friction over Trump between GOP, Utah... 64
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 30
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 27
- Prosecutor rails on DOJ handling of... 18
- Local government board fostered... 16
- 2 charged in attack on gay men;... 14