One year after killing, Sherry Black's family hopes to reopen bookstore
"She did most of the work before as far as organization, now I have to learn about books. I know a lot about books, but she was the brains," Earl Black said.
"She had it all in her head," Miller added.
Neither Black nor police had any new information about the case to release Monday. A motive for the crime and whether books or anything else was taken is still part of the ongoing investigation. The cash register still had money in it when police arrived.
When asked about speculation whether Black's involvement with rare LDS books was a possible motive, South Salt Lake police officer Gary Keller said it was "one of many" theories being investigated.
Keller called the investigation into Black's death "very active."
A memorial will be held for Sherry Black on Wednesday at Wasatch Lawn Memorial, 3401 S. Highland Drive. In addition, a tree at this year's Festival of Trees is being donated in her name. The tree has a "traditions and memories" theme and will include her love of reading.
One of Sherry's favorite traditions was getting together with family over the Christmas season, Miller said. The family wanted to "keep her traditions and memories alive" this year.
"That's the part that's the hardest. We have such a love for the holidays and love getting together as a family, and this is the time I get angry when we should have her with us and she was just taken from us," Miller said
The family is asking anyone in the public who has information about the slaying to report it to police.
"This is a violent, brutal, awful person that needs to be caught before he does it to someone else's mother or grandmother or wife," said Miller, who described the past year as surreal. "We never in a million years would have thought this would happen to us."
Tips can be called to South Salt Lake police at 801-840-4000, or texts can be sent to CRIMES, or 274637.
- Once paralyzed, Mormon missionary heading...
- A year later, a look at the Utah decision on...
- Former top deputy in Utah attorney general...
- What does a letter grade mean for my child's...
- Anti-police protests tie up traffic on...
- Police search for two suspects in downtown...
- Willard hunting guide shot while accompanying...
- Couples celebrate one-year anniversary of...
- A year later, a look at the Utah... 83
- Majority of Utahns oppose moving state... 53
- Obama signature all that's left in... 39
- Sugar House man intends to sue police,... 35
- Anti-police protests tie up traffic on... 31
- Audit: Utah still relies heavily on... 16
- Utah lawmakers recommend lowest-cost... 16
- Plan to relocate prison to Salt Lake... 14