SALT LAKE CITY — Seven new charter schools from Hurricane to Kearns will open their doors for the 2012-13 school year. The schools are at various stages of securing school buildings and enrolling students.
Aristotle Academy in American Fork will be a K-8 school specifically targeting low-income students. It will focus on teaching children to reason and enable them to be good citizens, according to its mission. Aristotle Academy will have an initial enrollment capacity of 540 students and will be located in the Alpine School District.
Baer Canyon High School in Kaysville will have a focus on sports and medical sciences. Three hundred spots for 10th- and 11th-graders will be open next year. Twelfth grade and 150 additional students will be welcomed in 2013. Baer Canyon will be located in the Davis School District.
Entheos Academy in Magna will house 500 kindergarten through ninth-grade students. The curriculum will focus on a comprehensive education emphasizing high achievement. The school will be located in the Granite School District.
HighMark Charter School in South Weber will focus on business education. In its first year of operation, it will serve 580 children in grades kindergarten through eighth grade and will add ninth grade and 115 more students the following year. HighMark will be located in the Davis School District.
Pacific Heritage Academy will be home to 450 kindergarten through eighth-grade students. It will be located in the Glendale area of Salt Lake City. The curriculum will focus on incorporating language, culture and community into education. The school will be located in the Salt Lake School District.
Promontory School of Expeditionary Learning will be located in Perry and serve 450 students in kindergarten through eighth grade. The school curriculum will focus on in-depth, interdisciplinary study of all topics. The school will be located in the Box Elder School District.
Valley Academy will be located in the Hurricane valley and will focus on performing arts and technology. Children in grades kindergarten through seventh will attend the school, which will have a total enrollment of 450 students. Valley Academy will be located in the Washington School District.
- What Utah voters need to know for the 2016...
- Poll: Trump up over Clinton in Utah, but lead...
- Two arrested in dangerous Taylorsville chase,...
- Celebrate July 4 at South Salt Lake Freedom...
- Logan toddler killed in driveway accident...
- UTA offers late TRAX, S-Line service for Utah...
- Dam project forces closure of Tibble Fork area
- Two arrested for allegedly siccing pit bull...
- Immigration ruling called hurtful, a... 75
- Nearly 70 percent of Utahns say Donald... 62
- Poll: Trump up over Clinton in Utah,... 43
- Love won't go to GOP national convention 27
- ACLU sues the state over inadequate... 26
- Utah GOP brings up father's bank... 25
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 23
- Rio Grande neighborhood 'more unsafe... 21