SALT LAKE CITY — Seven new charter schools from Hurricane to Kearns will open their doors for the 2012-13 school year. The schools are at various stages of securing school buildings and enrolling students.
Aristotle Academy in American Fork will be a K-8 school specifically targeting low-income students. It will focus on teaching children to reason and enable them to be good citizens, according to its mission. Aristotle Academy will have an initial enrollment capacity of 540 students and will be located in the Alpine School District.
Baer Canyon High School in Kaysville will have a focus on sports and medical sciences. Three hundred spots for 10th- and 11th-graders will be open next year. Twelfth grade and 150 additional students will be welcomed in 2013. Baer Canyon will be located in the Davis School District.
Entheos Academy in Magna will house 500 kindergarten through ninth-grade students. The curriculum will focus on a comprehensive education emphasizing high achievement. The school will be located in the Granite School District.
HighMark Charter School in South Weber will focus on business education. In its first year of operation, it will serve 580 children in grades kindergarten through eighth grade and will add ninth grade and 115 more students the following year. HighMark will be located in the Davis School District.
Pacific Heritage Academy will be home to 450 kindergarten through eighth-grade students. It will be located in the Glendale area of Salt Lake City. The curriculum will focus on incorporating language, culture and community into education. The school will be located in the Salt Lake School District.
Promontory School of Expeditionary Learning will be located in Perry and serve 450 students in kindergarten through eighth grade. The school curriculum will focus on in-depth, interdisciplinary study of all topics. The school will be located in the Box Elder School District.
Valley Academy will be located in the Hurricane valley and will focus on performing arts and technology. Children in grades kindergarten through seventh will attend the school, which will have a total enrollment of 450 students. Valley Academy will be located in the Washington School District.
- Hundreds search for missing Provo woman who...
- Husband and wife of 74 years die hours apart...
- Former wrestlers charged, assistant coach...
- Former Romney finance chairman courting a...
- Utah construction companies fined, ordered to...
- Ed and Elizabeth Smart make plea for help in...
- 22 songs Utahns love singing in the car
- 'As great as hosting the Olympics': Utah's...
- Utah GOP leaders going forward with new... 60
- Josh Romney: I won't run against Sen.... 57
- Former Romney finance chairman courting... 53
- Doctor: Vaccines result in healthy... 43
- Why is BYU honoring Robby George, and... 21
- Former wrestlers charged, assistant... 20
- Former Davis High teacher admits to... 19
- Utah high school students unprepared... 15