The defensive end from American Fork spent a semester at BYU, went on a two-year mission to Alaska and played two seasons at Snow College before arriving in Raleigh, N.C., with his wife, Kirsti.
But Frandsen, the Wolfpack’s 6-foot-2, 250-pound starting left defensive end, has enjoyed the journey.
“It’s been a lot of fun,” Frandsen told JP Giglio of the North Carolina News Observer in August.
Following his mission, Frandsen returned to walk on at BYU. During spring practice, he felt junior college would be a better fit for him.
After performing well at Snow College for two seasons, Frandsen struggled to grasp North Carolina State’s defensive schemes. He told the News Observer he was “overwhelmed.” His coach, N.C. State assistant Keith Willis, said he “struggled.”
Frandsen kept working and played well in spring drills. The coaches liked his work ethic and awarded him with a starting spot.
Frandsen, a science technology major, has posted 15 tackles and two pass deflections this year.
Name, hometown, class, position, mission
Michael Alisa, Provo, Utah (Timpview HS), So., RB (Puerto Rico San Juan)
Famika Anae, Provo, Utah (Timpview HS), Fr., OL (Texas McAllen)
Tyler Beck, Murrieta, Calif. (Vista Murrieta HS), So., LB (Texas Houston)
Kevan Bills, Provo, Utah (Timpview HS), Fr., LB (Argentina Mendoza)
Justin Blackmore, West Jordan, Utah (West Jordan HS), Fr., DL (Pennsylvania Harrisburg)
Braden Brown, Salt Lake City (Highland HS), Jr., OL (Puerto Rico San Juan)
Rhen Brown, Alpine, Utah (Lone Peak HS), Jr., WR (Argentina Salta)
Terence Brown, Summerville, S.C., Sr., OL (Brazil Maceio)
Trevor Brown, Provo, Utah (Timpview HS), Fr., TE (Croatia Slovenia)
Robbie Buckner, Ashdown, Ark. (Ashdown HS), Jr., DB (Mozambique Maputo)
Nate Carter, St. George, Utah (Dixie HS), Fr., RB (Taiwan Taipei)
Cameron Comer, Springville, Utah (Springville HS), Fr., DB (Virginia Richmond)
Tanner Cox, Pleasant View, Utah (Weber HS), Fr., LB (Mongolia Ulaanbaatar)
Dallin Cutler, Draper, Utah (Alta HS), So., WR (Costa Rica San Jose)
Ian Dulan, Hilo, Hawaii (Kamehameha HS), Sr., DL (Illinois Peoria)
Matthew Edwards, N. Salt Lake City, Utah (Woods Cross HS), Sr., TE (Maryland Baltimore)
Hebron Fangupo, Santa Ana, Calif. (Santa Ana HS), Sr., DL (Philippines Manila)
Ryan Folsom, Medford, Ore. (N. Medford HS), So., RB (Korea Seoul West)
David Foote, Washington, Utah (Pine View HS), Jr., RB (Colombia Bogota North)
Jameson Frazier, Draper, Utah (Alta HS), Sr., LB (Canada Montreal)
Ryan Freeman, Orem, Utah (Orem HS), Jr., OL (Chile Santiago North)
Kaneakua Friel, Kaneohe, Hawaii (Kamehamaha HS), So., TE (South Africa Durban)
Romney Fuga, Huntington Beach, Calif. (Edison HS), Jr., DL (Madagascar Antananarivo)
Preston Hadley, Pleasant Grove, Utah (Pleasant Grove HS), Jr., DB (New York, New York South)
Spencer Hadley, Connell, Wash. (Connell HS), So., LB (California Roseville)
- Self-assured, Kaine brings a steady hand to...
- California governor denies parole for Manson...
- Picturing history: West Lebanon, New Hampshire
- Will this key line in Melania Trump's GOP...
- Did the Republican Party just adopt the 'most...
- Cookbook review: 'The Lion House Cookbook'...
- Jerry Earl Johnston: At times the people we...
- GOP platform: Plenty for evangelicals to love
- Did the Republican Party just adopt the... 48
- Defending the Faith: Two theological... 28
- BYU climbs from No. 15 to No. 5 in this... 25
- Utah man credits God for survival of 4... 24
- Ohio Mormon offered invocation at... 22
- Self-assured, Kaine brings a steady... 16
- Why many churches can't endorse... 13
- GOP platform: Plenty for evangelicals... 12