The end of negotiations between BYU and the Big East made national news.
"BYU to the Big East is dead. It's not going to happen," a source told the Associated Press.
"With BYU out of the picture, the Big East will target San Diego State as a football-only member, a source said. The reason the Big East would seek out the Aztecs is because Boise State wants a Western partner before joining the league," writes Brett McMurphy of CBSSports.com. "The Big East had hoped to announce its newest members (SMU, Houston, UCF and Boise State) in the past two weeks, but the on-going discussions with BYU brought the Big East’s expansion plans to a standstill. That’s because the league wanted to announce SMU, UCF, Houston and Boise State as new members together along with either BYU or Air Force or both schools."
How are BYU fans taking his news? This cartoon might reflect the views of some of the Cougar faithful.
In other news, Utah State's president and athletic director has apologized to BYU for "inappropriate" fan behavior at the Cougar-Aggie basketball game in Logan earlier this month.
Finally, there are allegations of point-shaving at the University of Hawaii, which is BYU's final opponent of the regular season. The Cougars visit Hawaii on Dec. 3.
- Utah Jazz: A look at each player's contract...
- Dick Harmon: The Mangum brothers are a...
- Salt Lake marathon is first win for Lehi...
- Utah's second spring scrimmage is 'a dead heat'
- Utah gymnastics: Red Rocks finish second to...
- Optimism abounds for the Utah Jazz's future
- Doug Robinson: The high cost of coaches
- BYU rugby cruises past Central Washington,...
- Former BYU star Ena fitting in well at... 76
- Morning links: Krystkowiak shares his... 32
- Rose still has lofty goals for BYU's... 30
- Dick Harmon: Careers of Aaron... 26
- Mountain West Conference announces... 22
- Morning links: Booker ends the year... 17
- Doug Robinson: The high cost of coaches 15
- 3 Utes, 1 Aggie and 1 Cougar selected... 14