BOCA CHICA, Dominican Republic — Southpaw Mark Anderson threw a two-hitter and teammate Jaycob Brugman belted a two-run homer in BYU’s 8-2 defeat of the Ranger club team Monday.
Anderson, a junior, threw 84 pitches in five innings, leaving the game with a 5-1 lead. Sophomore right fielder Brugman hit his home run in the seventh to give BYU its seventh and eighth runs.
“I was rounding second base and thought I was going to get a triple because I didn't think it wasn't going to go out,” said Brugman. “It's a little different to hit the ball here. Usually you know right off the bat if you hit a home run or not, and here the air is so dense that the ball doesn't go anywhere. I've been struggling to get the barrel on the ball lately, and I just wanted to shorten up and get a good swing on it."
Anderson worked out of a 1-0 deficit in the first inning and got the help he needed in the third when the Cougars took the lead that they didn’t relinquish.
With one out in the third, Brugman singled to center, Austin Hall singled to left center and then Dillon Robinson singled to center to score Brugman and Hall. Brock Whitney then doubled to advance Robinson, who later scored on a wild pitch.
“The key for me was our pitchers,” said coach Vance Law. “They maintained a good pace throughout the ball game. They threw strikes and kept themselves ahead of hitters, and that's the key to pitching. If we're able to pound the strike zone like we did today, it keeps our defense into it. We played excellent defense and got a couple of timely hits.”
BYU, now 2-0, is idle Wednesday before resuming play on Thankgiving Day against the Red Sox club team in its four-game, weeklong tour of the Dominican Republic.
Ralph R. Zobell has worked for BYU athletic media relations in various capacities for over 30 years. You can view his bio at http://byucougars.com/staff/athletics/ralph-zobell or contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes...
- NBA moving All-Star Game out of Charlotte,...
- Brazil nabs 10 IS backers in Olympics...
- Oklahoma State forward Tyrek Coger dies after...
- Jeff Gordon readies for the Brickyard in...
- Froome crashes in Tour, finishes stage with...
- Former NFL coach Dennis Green dies at 67
- Warriors' Draymond Green settles assault case...
- Morning links: National college... 91
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 71
- Nine Big 12 candidates: The pros and cons 68
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 64
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 55
- Annual instate college basketball... 38
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat... 33
- Phil Steele 2016 Football magazine... 31