Lewis Jacobs, NBC
LOS ANGELES — The Dartmouth Aires made it into the top three on NBC's "The Sing-Off" Monday night, a group that includes Utahn Nic Chuaqui as a singer and music director.
The lone college group left standing will possibly compete in the live finale on Nov. 28 for the Sony recording contract and a $200,000 cash prize, against Pentatonix from Arlington, Texas and Urban Method from Denver, Colo.
Viewers will choose two groups of the three who will perform for prizes by calling or texting between Monday and Nov. 27. Information about how to vote is available on "The Sing-Off" website at www.nbc.com/sing-off/vote.
In addition to the finalists, the top 10 groups – including Brigham Young University’s male a cappella group Vocal Point, and Delilah, which has two Mormon singers from BYU's Noteworthy group – will return to perform. Judges Ben Folds, Sara Bareilles and Shawn Stockman will also perform.
The Dartmouth Aires squeaked by after the judges deadlocked on a decision and asked the Aires and Afro-Blue to reprise a number to help them choose a group to stay.
The Aires’ song "Somebody to Love" by Queen, kept them in the running. Earlier they impressed the judges with their master mix of a Lady Gaga song with a Rolling Stones number.
"It's so much love,” Bareilles said. “It's so much fun.”
Folds said it was the "devil versus the devil."
For "Shout" – the number chosen by the judges for the Aires to perform – the group garnered some criticism for pitch problems.
"Instant party. Just add water," Stockman said while Bareilles cited pitch problems and Folds said there were some "pitch train wrecks."
The 16-man Dartmouth Aires hail from Dartmouth College in Hanover, N.H.
- Rupert Murdoch vows Fox News without Ailes is...
- Fox needs to find a successor to man who...
- Froome crashes in Tour, finishes stage with...
- Warriors' Draymond Green settles assault case...
- Trump takes time from victory lap to swat at...
- Warner Bros. calms fans with fun 'Justice...
- A title and ship for new 'Star Trek' series:...
- New artificial reef is sunk off Florida's...
- Rupert Murdoch vows Fox News without... 13
- Trump takes time from victory lap to... 13
- After disputes, Dem stars turn their... 7
- Police: Munich suspect was obsessed... 5
- Germany: Syrian asylum seekers blows... 3
- Chris Hicks: Movies to watch over the... 3
- Erin Stewart: Should you teach your... 3
- Fox needs to find a successor to man... 2