WEST VALLEY CITY — Four people were arrested following a beer theft and high-speed chase in a stolen car Tuesday night.
Now, police are trying to determine if the group can be connected to any other recent car thefts in the Salt Lake Valley.
About 10:30 p.m. Monday, an officer spotted a car driving recklessly near 3100 South and 2700 West, said West Valley Police Sgt. Mike Powell. The car also matched the description of one used in a beer theft in Murray on Monday, as well as being listed as a stolen vehicle, he said.
The driver refused to pull over and a chase ensued. The high-speed chase went onto state Route 201, I-15 and ended near Redwood Road and 700 North when an officer conducted a PIT maneuver, disabling the vehicle, Powell said.
The driver ran off but was quickly chased down and arrested. Three other people in the car, including one female and a juvenile, did not run and were taken into custody. At least two of the occupants were related, he said. At least one person was arrested on outstanding warrants.
West Valley Police Lt. Kent Stokes said the chase reached speeds of 110 mph on the freeway. Because traffic was light at the time, the chase was not called off, Powell said.
The driver was identified as Darren Zahney, 23. He was arrested for investigation of possession of a stolen vehicle and fleeing.
According to Utah court records, Zahney pleaded guilty to misdemeanor possession of a dangerous weapon and drug possession in 2010, to an amended charge of felony attempted escape from custody in 2009, joyriding in 2009 and felony reckless burning and attempting to damage a jail cell, also in 2009.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: DNewsCrimeTeam
- President Boyd K. Packer, champion of...
- Former Provo High teacher pleads guilty to...
- Photos: A photographic look at President Boyd...
- Desire to serve: Even a gunshot couldn't keep...
- Lagoon's Cannibal ride makes late but...
- Utah farmer turns alfalfa field into the...
- Elderly man hit, killed while changing tire
- Farmington woman tumbles 150 feet in hiking...
- Delta man staged hate crimes in a 'cry... 96
- LDS Church donates to Utah Pride... 61
- My view: Move the prison for the sake... 41
- Support for law requiring sales tax for... 28
- Former Provo High teacher pleads guilty... 24
- President Boyd K. Packer, champion of... 24
- Neil Flinders: Keeping track of school... 21
- U.S. Supreme Court overturns EPA's... 14