WEST VALLEY CITY — Four people were arrested following a beer theft and high-speed chase in a stolen car Tuesday night.
Now, police are trying to determine if the group can be connected to any other recent car thefts in the Salt Lake Valley.
About 10:30 p.m. Monday, an officer spotted a car driving recklessly near 3100 South and 2700 West, said West Valley Police Sgt. Mike Powell. The car also matched the description of one used in a beer theft in Murray on Monday, as well as being listed as a stolen vehicle, he said.
The driver refused to pull over and a chase ensued. The high-speed chase went onto state Route 201, I-15 and ended near Redwood Road and 700 North when an officer conducted a PIT maneuver, disabling the vehicle, Powell said.
The driver ran off but was quickly chased down and arrested. Three other people in the car, including one female and a juvenile, did not run and were taken into custody. At least two of the occupants were related, he said. At least one person was arrested on outstanding warrants.
West Valley Police Lt. Kent Stokes said the chase reached speeds of 110 mph on the freeway. Because traffic was light at the time, the chase was not called off, Powell said.
The driver was identified as Darren Zahney, 23. He was arrested for investigation of possession of a stolen vehicle and fleeing.
According to Utah court records, Zahney pleaded guilty to misdemeanor possession of a dangerous weapon and drug possession in 2010, to an amended charge of felony attempted escape from custody in 2009, joyriding in 2009 and felony reckless burning and attempting to damage a jail cell, also in 2009.
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: DNewsCrimeTeam
- The pimple dilemma: To pop or not to pop
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Quiz: Which epic Airbnb in Utah should be...
- Police shoot, critically injure 'prime...
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 81
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 38
- Love won't go to GOP national convention 35
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 35
- Misty Snow likely to advance to general... 33
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Arches Health Plan shutdown leaves $33... 30
- Will 'Brexit' vote help Trump in Utah? 26