Utah State's Brian McKenna places 63rd at NCAA Cross Country Championships
Utah State cross country senior captain Brian McKenna capped off his Aggie cross country career by placing 63rd out of 252 runners at the 2011 NCAA Cross Country Championships in Terre Haute, Ind., on Monday. McKenna improved his season-best 10,000-meter time by nearly 14 seconds as he crossed the finish line in 30:29.6.
McKenna is a two-time Western Athletic Conference individual champion, winning the title in 2009 and 2011. He also earned first-team all-WAC honors twice and was named Male Athlete of the Year in 2009 and again in 2011.
This was McKenna’s second time competing at nationals as he also qualified in 2009, finishing 69th out of 250 runners. Additionally, McKenna is only the fifth USU cross country runner to make it to the championships since 2000, joining Trevor Ball (2005), Tiffany Strickland (2005), Mike Nielson (2003) and Ashley Johnson (2003), and is the first two-time selection during that span.
McKenna received an at-large invitation to compete in the championships after finishing in 10th place with a time of 30:43.3 at the NCAA Mountain Region Championships on Nov. 12 in Provo. He also earned all-Region honors for the second time in his career.
Highlights from the championships will be included as part of the CBS NCAA Fall Seasonal Show scheduled to air on Dec. 18 from 11 a.m. to noon on CBS HD.
UTAH STATE RESULTS
Terre Haute, Ind.
Men's Individual Results:
63. Brian McKenna, 30:29.6
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University.
- Ranking the best small forwards in the NBA...
- BYU star Tyler Haws' whirlwind workout tour...
- Morning links: Sports figures react to...
- Utah football: QB Wilson determined to make...
- Ranking the best shooting guards in the NBA...
- Dick Harmon: As Marriott Center gets new...
- Former BYU guard Tyler Haws to work out for...
- Utah Jazz face decision of pursuing free...
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games... 70
- Morning links: Sports figures react to... 70
- Utah football: QB Wilson determined to... 35
- Brad Rock: Tackle football for girls... 25
- Morning links: Haws, Wright workout for... 21
- Dick Harmon: As Marriott Center gets... 16
- His legacy at BYU secure, Tyler Haws... 13
- Former BYU guard Tyler Haws to work out... 13