BOCA CHICA, Dominican Republic — Veteran Dillon Robinson and newcomers Mason Marshall and Tanner Chauncey led BYU to a 6-3 victory over the Yankee club team Monday.
Robinson’s two-run double in the ninth inning was the game-winning RBI in the come-from-behind victory for the Cougars in the first of four games on their Thanksgiving tour of the Dominican Republic. The junior third baseman drove in Austin Hall and Chauncey to give BYU a 5-3 lead in the ninth. Robinson then scored on a sacrifice fly from Brock Whitney for the Cougars’ sixth run.
“We got a bit hit and run from Tanner Chauncey, a couple of sacrifice flies from Brock Whitney, and a great base hit from Dillon Robinson, a double that scored two runs,” said BYU coach Vance Law. "Mason (Marshall) just comes in and competes. Everybody looks at him because of his small stature and think he's not going to be an effective pitcher, but he comes in and just throws strikes and goes after people. I am really happy with the way that he pitched and the people here were impressed."
Marshall, a freshman lefty, relieved Marc Oslund in the eighth. Oslund came in relief of starter Chris Capper in the sixth when the score was knotted at one-all.
"It felt great to get that hit in the last inning,” said Robinson, who gave the cushion for Marshall. “I wanted to redeem myself from my last at-bat and told myself if I got the chance I wanted to make sure I could come through for my team and I did and it felt great."
BYU tied the score in the second at 1-1, when Wes Guenther’s right field double scored Christian Mua.
The Cougars next play an affiliate team of the Rangers on Tuesday morning.
Ralph R. Zobell has worked for BYU Athletic Media Relations in various capacities for over 30 years. You can view his bio at http://byucougars.com/staff/athletics/ralph-zobell or contact him at email@example.com.
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working to be...
- Mendenhall comfortable with BYU's quarterback...
- Recruiting central: Top 25 prep football...
- BYU football fall practice position preview:...
- High school football: Louis Wong, Tony...
- Fall camp position previews: BYU, Utah and...
- An early look at the preseason Heisman hopefuls
- Rock On: Kyle Whittingham's happy face
- Pac-12 commissioner 'delighted' that... 147
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah — married... 101
- Utah quarterback Travis Wilson cited... 97
- 'It all came together': 30 years later,... 94
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working... 49
- Playoffs ‘almost... 36
- Former Ute Zane Beadles donates... 26
- Rock On: Kyle Whittingham's happy face 25