BOCA CHICA, Dominican Republic — Veteran Dillon Robinson and newcomers Mason Marshall and Tanner Chauncey led BYU to a 6-3 victory over the Yankee club team Monday.
Robinson’s two-run double in the ninth inning was the game-winning RBI in the come-from-behind victory for the Cougars in the first of four games on their Thanksgiving tour of the Dominican Republic. The junior third baseman drove in Austin Hall and Chauncey to give BYU a 5-3 lead in the ninth. Robinson then scored on a sacrifice fly from Brock Whitney for the Cougars’ sixth run.
“We got a bit hit and run from Tanner Chauncey, a couple of sacrifice flies from Brock Whitney, and a great base hit from Dillon Robinson, a double that scored two runs,” said BYU coach Vance Law. "Mason (Marshall) just comes in and competes. Everybody looks at him because of his small stature and think he's not going to be an effective pitcher, but he comes in and just throws strikes and goes after people. I am really happy with the way that he pitched and the people here were impressed."
Marshall, a freshman lefty, relieved Marc Oslund in the eighth. Oslund came in relief of starter Chris Capper in the sixth when the score was knotted at one-all.
"It felt great to get that hit in the last inning,” said Robinson, who gave the cushion for Marshall. “I wanted to redeem myself from my last at-bat and told myself if I got the chance I wanted to make sure I could come through for my team and I did and it felt great."
BYU tied the score in the second at 1-1, when Wes Guenther’s right field double scored Christian Mua.
The Cougars next play an affiliate team of the Rangers on Tuesday morning.
Ralph R. Zobell has worked for BYU Athletic Media Relations in various capacities for over 30 years. You can view his bio at http://byucougars.com/staff/athletics/ralph-zobell or contact him at email@example.com.
- Boise State blasts BYU 55-30, Mendenhall...
- Dick Harmon: Boise State embarrasses a...
- Utah football: Utes top USC Trojans in a...
- Plenty of blame to go around for Cougars...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's defense needs Bronco...
- High school football: State tournament pairings
- Utah-USC: Battle of ranked teams at...
- Utah State Aggies lose another QB, but hold...
- Boise State blasts BYU 55-30,... 114
- Dick Harmon: Utes climb on big stage;... 75
- Dick Harmon: Boise State embarrasses a... 61
- Utes picked to finish 2nd in Pac-12... 24
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave... 21
- BYU walk-on Carter makes most of... 19
- Beast mode: Utah running back Devontae... 18
- BYU-Boise State game expected to... 16