Laura Seitz, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — The LDS Business College culminated a year of celebrating it's 125th anniversary with a Founder's Reception Friday featuring three of the school's presidents.
There have been 12 presidents since the school was established in 1886 — 10 years before Utah would become a state — and two former presidents and current president, Larry Richards, spoke at the event, Louise Brown, public relations director for the college, said. Many references were made to the school's objective of providing a "skills-based education in a spiritual environment," Brown said.
While the school's official inception date is Nov. 15, those at the school have commemorated the landmark throughout the year with a variety of activities ranging from creating an award-winning Days of '47 parade float to a large-scale, ping pong ball drop.
The students also participated in a "125 days of service" event beginning July 14 and ending Nov. 15, which included a blood drive, a canned food drive, craft projects involving blankets and knit caps and a letter-making project for U.S. soldiers.
Brown said the school started in the basement of Social Hall at 51 S. State Street with one teacher and a small classroom and has expanded to its current enrollment of 2,000 students from 50 states and more than 60 different countries. To date, the college has graduated close to 100,000 students.
In its history, the college has been held on a number of campuses and boasted prominent LDS Church leaders as its leaders and supporters. Brown said that research she conducted to provide for the college's "birthday" left her convinced the school has received divine help.
"Twelve presidents and thousands of students have gathered to this place to enlighten their minds, elevate their hope and enoble their souls," she said. "You can just see the hand of God through this college's magnificent 125 years."
- After more than 6 years, 3 families yearn for...
- Strong winds cause damage, possibly fatal...
- Millcreek man faces child abuse homicide...
- Sen. Orrin Hatch headed to Israel to meet...
- About Utah: Want a ride to the past? Matt...
- New strategies eliminate long waitlist for...
- 7 crazy-awesome natural arches and bridges in...
- Thousands attend second Utah Lantern Fest
- With Trump on top, Romney will not... 89
- Utah GOP all in for Cruz, but Trump... 59
- Dog accused of biting child ordered to... 49
- Utah GOP leaders ready to support... 47
- Award recipient's affiliation draws ire... 36
- Climate change and national forests:... 33
- Robert F. Bennett, former three-term... 28
- S.L. City Council unsure what to expect... 21