National Eagle Forum endorses Carl Wimmer for Congress
Stuart Johnson, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — The national Eagle Forum political action committee announced Friday it is endorsing Utah Rep. Carl Wimmer, R-Herriman, in the state's new 4th District congressional race.
"In Utah it is easy to find conservative voters and candidates who say the right things," Utah Eagle Forum President Gayle Ruzicka said. "It is more difficult, however, to find people who stand up and fight for conservative causes."
Ruzicka said Wimmer has passed several pro-life bills. "Carl is a strong defender of the family," she said, who serves as chairman of the Family Action Council Team, a pro-family coalition.
The founder and president of the national Eagle Forum, Phyllis Schlafly, said, "Carl is committed to protecting life and marriage, and to keeping taxes low and creating jobs for American families."
The national PAC said it supports candidates who are committed to a conservative philosophy of limited government, national sovereignty and traditional values.
Wimmer already faces a challenge from a fellow GOP lawmaker, Rep. Stephen Sandstrom, who lives just outside the new district in Orem but plans to move within its boundaries.
Another Republican, Saratoga Springs Mayor Mia Love, is also looking at getting into the race to represent much of western Salt Lake and Utah counties as well as parts of Sanpete and Juab counties.
Utah's only Democrat in Congress, Rep. Jim Matheson, currently represents the 2nd District but has said he is considering running for re-election there or in the 4th District. Matheson has also not ruled out a bid for governor.
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Police say man murdered his mother in her...
- UTA offers fare for food in Utah Food Bank drive
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 38
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 36
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 29
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 28
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 13
- LDS Church asks court to void subpoena... 11
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument... 9
- Women underrepresented across Utah's... 8