Jeffery D. Allred, Deseret News
ESPN.com is reporting that the BCS is proposing "radical changes."
"According to sources with direct knowledge of meetings held in San Francisco earlier this week, the suggested change calls for the BCS to sever its direct ties with the so-called BCS bowls — the Allstate Sugar Bowl, Tostitos Fiesta Bowl, Discover Orange Bowl and Rose Bowl Game presented by Vizio — and concentrate solely on arranging a No. 1 vs. No. 2 national championship matchup," writes Gene Wojciechowski. "In addition, the BCS title game could potentially be bidded out to nontraditional sites, such as Jerry Jones' Cowboys Stadium."
There's a chance that AQ bids could go away. How could this affect BYU, which is mulling a move to the Big East?
"Conferences such as the Big East, which are in danger of losing their AQ status, are trying to recruit successful football programs — Boise State, for example — to improve their standing," Wojciechowski writes. "But according to a conference official familiar with the content of the BCS meetings, the Big East would be affected by any model that forces the league to forfeit its AQ standing. 'It would hurt (it),' said the official. 'They don't have the tradition and ticket sales reputation — at least, a lot of their schools don't have — to the major bowls.'
"Also debatable is the affect such a format would have on programs from programs presently in non-AQ conferences, such as Boise State and Houston. Would those programs have more or fewer opportunities to play in a national championship game or a BCS bowl-level game?"
Meanwhile, BYU has been named the 2011 Sideline Spirit Champion. Cougar cheerleader Whitney Wonnacott, who is Jimmer Fredette's fiancee, received the majority of the of the votes in the final round.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Utah football: Quarterback Kendal Thompson...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 112
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 36
- Guest commentary: Utah Jazz face an... 31
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 29
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 22
- Dick Harmon: Henderson joins other BYU... 20