SANDY — A local attorney known for his "One call, that's all" slogan was booked into the Salt Lake County Jail Thursday after airport security agents found a handgun in his luggage.
Attorney Craig Swapp was arrested at the Salt Lake City International Airport after a small handgun and a magazine holding ammunition was found in his briefcase, police said. Swapp said the gun itself was not loaded and called the incident "an honest mistake."
"I was just headed to Boise this morning, catching the 8:58 (a.m.) flight and just left my house like normal, kind of in a bit of a rush trying to make sure I made it on time," Swapp said Thursday.
He has a concealed carry permit and said he usually stores the gun in his safe when he travels, but was in a rush to get to the airport and forgot the gun was in his briefcase.
"I travel frequently, but for some reason that just spaced my mind," he said. "So, when they found it in security, it surprised me probably as much as it did them."
He said he was taken into custody at the airport and eventually booked and released from the jail.
"From there it was a big deal, and I can see why," he said. "If people have handguns, that is a real breach of security."
Airport spokeswoman Barbara Gann confirmed Swapp's arrest for possession of the handgun. Last month, airport security made five arrests for similar incidents.
Swapp said it wasn't his intent to take or use the weapon and that it was his first arrest. "I've been to the jail a lot of times to help clients, but not on that side of the wall," he said.
Meantime, he isn't necessarily sure what will follow the arrest.
"It really depends on the prosecutor on what kind of charges they want to bring against me for it," he said. "It was a mistake and I'll take care of whatever I need to take care of."
He said he thought his experience might help others avoid a situation like the one he currently finds himself in.
"This will be a good reminder for other people, too," Swapp said.
- Report: Utah home to 'most impressive'...
- MTC missionaries spend Thanksgiving preparing...
- Traditions old and new celebrated as Temple...
- Hillary's grace: Watching her daughter...
- Hikers brave cold and wind instead of Black...
- Man steals woman's boarding pass, checks into...
- Families of 3 missing persons ask for...
- Citywide remodels home for family of teen...
- Ogden woman sues trooper, alleging he... 36
- Feds: Utah companies accused of... 26
- Census: Utah has youngest newlyweds,... 16
- Man fighting for custody of daughter... 16
- Man steals woman's boarding pass,... 13
- Utah GOP, state appear headed to court... 12
- The new Thanksgiving tradition: A quick... 11
- MTC missionaries spend Thanksgiving... 8