Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
BYU center Brandon Davies is back.
After being suspended for an honor code violation last season and regaining his eligibility, Davies broke his media silence earlier this week.
“I was definitely treated more than fair,” Davis told reporters. “Just to be able to make it back here and be able to be a part of this team again is a blessing to me.”
Davies said it “hurt” not being able to help his teammates in the postseason.
“Not just me, but everyone around me,” Davies said. “It’s definitely something I’ll never forget about and something I never want to do again, so I just use that to drive me in all that I do today.”
The Provo native said the difficult experience changed him.
“I can’t really tell someone that I’ve changed; it’s up to me to show that,” Davies said. “Hopefully I’m in the right direction and doing that the best I can.”
No doubt BYU coach Dave Rose is happy to have Davies back after his six-month suspension. The Cougars need the junior to play a big role as one of three returning starters this season. The team lost national player of the year Jimmer Fredette and BYU all-time steals leader Jackson Emery.
BYU opened its season at Utah State Friday, Nov. 11.
More on Washington quarterback John Beck
Mike Jones, a Washington Redskins’ insider for the Washington Post, recently wrote three blogs featuring former BYU quarterback John Beck and his efforts to earn his first win as an NFL starter. A fifth-year pro, Beck is 0-7 as a starting quarterback in the league (0-4 with Miami in 2007 and three losses this season).
One blog is titled “Mike Shanahan sees improvement in John Beck.”
Another one carries the headline “Kyle Shanahan still getting a feel for John Beck.”
A third blog describes how Beck has remained confident despite struggles.
Email: email@example.com Twitter: tbtoone
- BYU football notebook: Team captains named,...
- Lone Peak's Frank Jackson sees Duke as too...
- Nebraska hoping for balanced offense attack...
- Morning links: Will Michigan beat Utah? BYU?;...
- BYU's Davis faces misdemeanor assault, riot...
- Dick Harmon: Who will face toughest QBs this...
- Position by position: Breaking down the...
- NFL cuts tracker (updated): 11 Utah ties...
- Morning links: Cougars, Utes to face... 98
- BYU football notebook: Team captains... 46
- Guest commentary: BYU, Utah, USU... 31
- New York Jets waive former BYU... 31
- Cougars looking for special season with... 29
- Lone Peak's Frank Jackson sees Duke as... 29
- BYU football: With opener one week... 23
- Dick Harmon: Who will face toughest QBs... 22