Shelise Walker, Cliff Nielson lead UVU cross country at NCAA Regionals
PROVO — The Great West Conference champion Utah Valley University men's and women's cross country teams closed out the 2011 season Saturday with 14th- and 17th-place finishes at the NCAA Mountain Regionals held at East Bay Golf Course.
The UVU men, who were led by Cliff Nielson's 55th-place finish with the time of 32 minutes, 9.6 seconds in the 10K race, placed higher than the likes of Montana and Texas Tech of the Big 12 Conference.
Shelise Walker paced the Wolverine women's team by finishing 50th with a time of 22:36.4 in the 6K race.
BYU's Miles Batty was the top male finisher with the time of 30:09.2, while UTEP's Risper Kimaiyo was the top female finisher with the time of 20:35.2.
The University of Colorado and New Mexico tied with 84 places in the women's race and earned the two team automatic-qualifying spots for NCAA Nationals next week in Terre Haute, Ind., while BYU (49) and Colorado (55) earned the top two men's spots.
The Top 20 finishers in each race also earn individual invitations to the national meet.
Earlier in the year, the UVU women captured their fourth straight GWC Cross Country title, while the men won their third.
Jay Hinton is a sports information assistant at Utah Valley University.
- High school basketball tournaments: Pairings,...
- 16 Mormon pop culture moments from 2014-15
- 3A boys state tournament roundup: Pine View...
- BYU looking forward to big showdown at No. 3...
- 4A boys state tournament roundup: Bountiful...
- 5A boys state tournament roundup: Layton...
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Cougars take center stage...
- High school boys basketball: Kearns marches...
- Peavler: BYU and Utah would both be... 91
- Holmoe talks about bowl brawl... 83
- Dick Harmon: Holmoe's outward interest... 60
- Utes bounce back, blast Sun Devils 50
- Morning links: Utah coaching job... 30
- Morning links: Examining BYU's at-large... 29
- Haws breaks all-time scoring record in... 24
- Utes play better offensively,... 21