Shelise Walker, Cliff Nielson lead UVU cross country at NCAA Regionals
PROVO — The Great West Conference champion Utah Valley University men's and women's cross country teams closed out the 2011 season Saturday with 14th- and 17th-place finishes at the NCAA Mountain Regionals held at East Bay Golf Course.
The UVU men, who were led by Cliff Nielson's 55th-place finish with the time of 32 minutes, 9.6 seconds in the 10K race, placed higher than the likes of Montana and Texas Tech of the Big 12 Conference.
Shelise Walker paced the Wolverine women's team by finishing 50th with a time of 22:36.4 in the 6K race.
BYU's Miles Batty was the top male finisher with the time of 30:09.2, while UTEP's Risper Kimaiyo was the top female finisher with the time of 20:35.2.
The University of Colorado and New Mexico tied with 84 places in the women's race and earned the two team automatic-qualifying spots for NCAA Nationals next week in Terre Haute, Ind., while BYU (49) and Colorado (55) earned the top two men's spots.
The Top 20 finishers in each race also earn individual invitations to the national meet.
Earlier in the year, the UVU women captured their fourth straight GWC Cross Country title, while the men won their third.
Jay Hinton is a sports information assistant at Utah Valley University.
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big 12...
- Poll: Many Brazilians think Olympic Games...
- AP source: ACC, ESPN to launch ACC Network in...
- BYU and the Big 12: A timeline of events
- NCAA: No. 1 overall seed to choose tourney...
- IOC explores legal options on banning all...
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes...
- NBA moving All-Star Game out of Charlotte,...
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big... 126
- Brad Rock: What BYU needs to nail down... 105
- Morning links: National college... 73
- Nine Big 12 candidates: The pros and cons 68
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 57
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 52
- Big 12 Media Days social roundup:... 49
- Annual instate college basketball... 37