Section of Bangerter to close for weekend; new 'thru turn intersection' opens Monday in Draper
SALT LAKE CITY — Drivers who use Bangerter Highway between West Jordan and Taylorsville will have to find a detour this weekend due to a major closure.
The Utah Department of Transportation has announced a full closure of Bangerter Highway from 5400 South to 6200 South beginning Friday at 10 p.m. through Monday at 5 a.m. for resurfacing work. While no northbound or southbound traffic will be allowed on the eight-block stretch, east-west access will be maintained through the 5400 and 6200 South intersections.
In Draper, the state’s first "thru turn intersection" will open Monday at 12300 South and State Street. The unique intersection moves left-hand turns away from the main intersection to improve traffic flow, UDOT explained.
Instead of turning left at a busy intersection, drivers will travel through the main intersection to a new traffic signal about 400 feet beyond it, then make a U-turn into a designated lane and drive back to the intersection from the opposite direction to turn right toward their intended destination.
According to UDOT, the new intersection design has worked successfully in other states, reducing idling and congestion at busy intersections from up to two minutes to less than 30 seconds.
For a video simulation of the new intersection, visit: http://www.udot.utah.gov/thruturn/
Meanwhile, drivers using I-15 in Utah County will find the going a little easier as lane restrictions from Lehi to American Fork are removed in both directions. UDOT reported that all four lanes of traffic are now open. By year's end, crews are scheduled to have the majority of the project shifted onto new concrete pavement.
For the latest information on UDOT road projects, visit www.udot.utah.gov and click on the Know Where Know Why tab.
- Which U.S. cities are the best for upward...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- What consumers need to know about chip...
- IRS commits to not target tax-exempt status...
- Imagine Dragons treated like home team at...
- Motley Crue concert delayed about two hours...
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face uncertain future
- Merged resorts relying on familiar feel to...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts... 296
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face... 140
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting... 105
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of... 76
- Most Utahns oppose Supreme Court ruling... 67
- Lee takes on new strategy in fight... 45
- IRS commits to not target tax-exempt... 37
- Is report on building prison in Draper... 35