Section of Bangerter to close for weekend; new 'thru turn intersection' opens Monday in Draper
SALT LAKE CITY — Drivers who use Bangerter Highway between West Jordan and Taylorsville will have to find a detour this weekend due to a major closure.
The Utah Department of Transportation has announced a full closure of Bangerter Highway from 5400 South to 6200 South beginning Friday at 10 p.m. through Monday at 5 a.m. for resurfacing work. While no northbound or southbound traffic will be allowed on the eight-block stretch, east-west access will be maintained through the 5400 and 6200 South intersections.
In Draper, the state’s first "thru turn intersection" will open Monday at 12300 South and State Street. The unique intersection moves left-hand turns away from the main intersection to improve traffic flow, UDOT explained.
Instead of turning left at a busy intersection, drivers will travel through the main intersection to a new traffic signal about 400 feet beyond it, then make a U-turn into a designated lane and drive back to the intersection from the opposite direction to turn right toward their intended destination.
According to UDOT, the new intersection design has worked successfully in other states, reducing idling and congestion at busy intersections from up to two minutes to less than 30 seconds.
For a video simulation of the new intersection, visit: http://www.udot.utah.gov/thruturn/
Meanwhile, drivers using I-15 in Utah County will find the going a little easier as lane restrictions from Lehi to American Fork are removed in both directions. UDOT reported that all four lanes of traffic are now open. By year's end, crews are scheduled to have the majority of the project shifted onto new concrete pavement.
For the latest information on UDOT road projects, visit www.udot.utah.gov and click on the Know Where Know Why tab.
- The pimple dilemma: To pop or not to pop
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Quiz: Which epic Airbnb in Utah should be...
- Police shoot, critically injure 'prime...
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 81
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 38
- Love won't go to GOP national convention 35
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 35
- Misty Snow likely to advance to general... 34
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Arches Health Plan shutdown leaves $33... 30
- Will 'Brexit' vote help Trump in Utah? 26