Blue roundup: BYU basketball team will face hostile crowd at USU
The BYU basketball team opens the post-Jimmer Fredette era Friday night against Utah State at The Spectrum.
ESPN.com's Andy Katz writes that the BYU-Utah State game is one of the nation's biggest games on Friday night.
"If there was ever a good time to go to Logan — where the Aggies are 193-13 in Stew Morrill's tenure at Utah State — it's now, as the Aggies are going through a major overhaul," Katz writes. "But the problem for the Cougars is that they are as well after losing Jimmer Fredette and Jackson Emery. One-time suspended forward Brandon Davies is back to lead the Cougs. 'He'll have different players but the same system,' (coach Dave) Rose said of (USU coach Stew) Morrill. A BYU road win on opening night will be a strong indicator of two things: The Cougars will be in the chase in the WCC, and Utah State is further down than projected. A loss to Utah State won't dampen the ultimate development of this team, in large part because it's not expected to win in Logan — even if the Aggies are rebuilding."
The Utah Statesman makes a prediction about the outcome of the game.
In football, BYU hosts Idaho Saturday night. The Moscow-Pullman Daily News points out the importance of the Vandal's running game. Idaho is 0-5 when running 30 times or fewer this season.
And despite last Sunday's loss, former Cougar quarterback John Beck will remain the Washington Redskins' starter, said coach Mike Shanahan. Beck returns to Miami this weekend to face his former team, the Dolphins.
- Carmelo Anthony among 10 set for US Olympic...
- Jazz snubbed: Agents block players from...
- AP Source: Pacers acquire Thad Young from Nets
- Rio Olympic organizers unveil village where...
- Agent: LeBron James to skip Rio Olympics
- Utah Jazz select Baylor forward Taurean...
- Magic land Serge Ibaka in draft-night trade...
- 76ers take Ben Simmons with No. 1 pick in NBA...
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 150
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 61
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 38
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 32
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 31
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 19
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 19
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 19