SALT LAKE CITY — The man shot by police in a McDonald's parking lot in downtown Salt Lake City has been booked into jail.
Dennzel Davis, 19, was booked into the Salt Lake County Jail on Sunday for investigation of exploiting prostitution, a second-degree felony.
On Oct. 28, a plain-clothed Salt Lake police officer fired multiple shots at a man who had been the focus of an ongoing investigation, striking him once in the stomach. The shooting happened in front of McDonald's, 210 W. 500 South. The victim's vehicle was left with its rear backed up to the curb next to the building, with two bullet holes in the windshield and the side passenger window shot out.
The man was taken to a local hospital in serious condition.
According to jail documents, Davis "shares in the proceeds of prostitution."
"(Davis) has threatened a female subject through fear and intimidation and forced the female subject to prostitute," a jail report states. "(Davis) has frightened the female subject and ordered her to make money through prostitution. All of the proceeds of prostitution were taken by (Davis)."
The officer-involved shooting remained under investigation Wednesday by the Salt Lake Police Department and the Salt Lake County District Attorney's Office. It was unknown Wednesday whether the prostitution case was connected with the investigation that led to the shooting.
In June, Davis was charged in 3rd District Court with aggravated assault resulting in serious bodily injury and criminal mischief. According to court documents, Davis used both of his hands to choke a woman who was five months pregnant with his child.
The charges were dropped and Davis was released from jail in August after the state's witness didn't show up for the preliminary hearing, according to court records.
- Concealed permit holder stopped armed robbery...
- Photos: Hollywood comes to Utah with the...
- 'Frozen', Utah style! Slot canyons, arches...
- Suspected DUI driver found in barn hours...
- Lawmakers looking to pump up gas tax this...
- Are you willing to pay more for your child's...
- Sen. Mike Lee urges conservative Republicans...
- How to keep a youthful appearance
- Mitt sounds like a candidate at Salt... 87
- Sen. Mike Lee urges conservative... 25
- Are you willing to pay more for your... 21
- EPA inventory highlights 'toxic'... 19
- Darrien Hunt's mother pleads not guilty... 19
- Former SUU rugby player sentenced to... 18
- Inmates turn in handgun and magazine... 18
- Lawmakers looking to pump up gas tax... 16