SALT LAKE CITY — The man shot by police in a McDonald's parking lot in downtown Salt Lake City has been booked into jail.
Dennzel Davis, 19, was booked into the Salt Lake County Jail on Sunday for investigation of exploiting prostitution, a second-degree felony.
On Oct. 28, a plain-clothed Salt Lake police officer fired multiple shots at a man who had been the focus of an ongoing investigation, striking him once in the stomach. The shooting happened in front of McDonald's, 210 W. 500 South. The victim's vehicle was left with its rear backed up to the curb next to the building, with two bullet holes in the windshield and the side passenger window shot out.
The man was taken to a local hospital in serious condition.
According to jail documents, Davis "shares in the proceeds of prostitution."
"(Davis) has threatened a female subject through fear and intimidation and forced the female subject to prostitute," a jail report states. "(Davis) has frightened the female subject and ordered her to make money through prostitution. All of the proceeds of prostitution were taken by (Davis)."
The officer-involved shooting remained under investigation Wednesday by the Salt Lake Police Department and the Salt Lake County District Attorney's Office. It was unknown Wednesday whether the prostitution case was connected with the investigation that led to the shooting.
In June, Davis was charged in 3rd District Court with aggravated assault resulting in serious bodily injury and criminal mischief. According to court documents, Davis used both of his hands to choke a woman who was five months pregnant with his child.
The charges were dropped and Davis was released from jail in August after the state's witness didn't show up for the preliminary hearing, according to court records.
- Doug Robinson: Advocate's plea: Please return...
- Rally in support of police also draws counter...
- Baby's first Christmas comes with gift of hope
- Fountain Green holds first Christmas light...
- Park City police nab pair suspected of...
- Fire at Little America Hotel forces overnight...
- Looming knee surgery inspired man to carve canes
- Bringing joy through simple acts of kindness
- Hatch 'sorry to see' Lee called an... 130
- List of potential prison sites cut to... 44
- Poll: Nearly two-thirds of Utahns... 29
- Rally in support of police also draws... 20
- Mia Love names KSL reporter to head... 19
- Doug Robinson: Advocate's plea: Please... 18
- Police: Gunman said he shot at trooper... 13
- Judge issues summons for 'Super Dell' 9