SALT LAKE CITY — The man shot by police in a McDonald's parking lot in downtown Salt Lake City has been booked into jail.
Dennzel Davis, 19, was booked into the Salt Lake County Jail on Sunday for investigation of exploiting prostitution, a second-degree felony.
On Oct. 28, a plain-clothed Salt Lake police officer fired multiple shots at a man who had been the focus of an ongoing investigation, striking him once in the stomach. The shooting happened in front of McDonald's, 210 W. 500 South. The victim's vehicle was left with its rear backed up to the curb next to the building, with two bullet holes in the windshield and the side passenger window shot out.
The man was taken to a local hospital in serious condition.
According to jail documents, Davis "shares in the proceeds of prostitution."
"(Davis) has threatened a female subject through fear and intimidation and forced the female subject to prostitute," a jail report states. "(Davis) has frightened the female subject and ordered her to make money through prostitution. All of the proceeds of prostitution were taken by (Davis)."
The officer-involved shooting remained under investigation Wednesday by the Salt Lake Police Department and the Salt Lake County District Attorney's Office. It was unknown Wednesday whether the prostitution case was connected with the investigation that led to the shooting.
In June, Davis was charged in 3rd District Court with aggravated assault resulting in serious bodily injury and criminal mischief. According to court documents, Davis used both of his hands to choke a woman who was five months pregnant with his child.
The charges were dropped and Davis was released from jail in August after the state's witness didn't show up for the preliminary hearing, according to court records.
- Man stole ring, woman swallowed it, police say
- Wet, cool August delivered more than twice...
- World-renowned rock art in Utah is younger...
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns Utahns of...
- Family of fallen officer Derek Johnson...
- Circleville farmers scratching their heads...
- No timeline announced yet for Cottonwood Mall...
- Why would a parent abandon a child? A look at...
- Attorney general deciding whether to... 41
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh... 39
- Newborn found in trash can brings call... 34
- Becky Lockhart serious about... 31
- Parents say daughter didn't understand... 22
- Gay rights activists to fight charges... 22
- Police reviewing possible nightclub... 16
- Winning plaintiffs in 3 states want... 14