Two Mormon missionaries killed in Texas, third taken to hospital
DONNA, Texas — Two LDS missionaries were killed while riding their bikes in this southeast Texas town Tuesday and a third was critically injured in the same apparent hit-and-run accident.
Elder Trevor Reinhold Strong, 21, of Taylorsville, and Elder Derek Jason Walker, 20, of Fairfield, Idaho, were killed in the accident that happened around 7:30 p.m., the LDS Church confirmed Tuesday evening. Elder Zachary Todd Harris, 19, of Huntsville, Ala., was taken to a nearby hospital. He is expected to recover.
"Our thoughts and prayers are with Elder Harris and the family, friends and loved ones of Elder Strong and Elder Walker," said Scott Trotter, spokesman for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. "We pray that the Lord will comfort and watch over them during this difficult time."
Trooper Johnny Hernandez with Texas Highway Patrol said the missionaries were riding northbound on Midway South St., which is not too far from a major highway, when a vehicle traveling southbound hit all three head-on.
The driver of the vehicle and two passengers allegedly fled the scene on foot and authorities were using helicopters in their search, Hernandez said.
Updates will be posted as they become available.
- Rocky Mountain Power: Thousands on Wasatch...
- 5 places your money might be hiding
- Ballet West artists prepare original works...
- Where does Salt Lake City rank among the...
- 41 inmates in Davis County Jail earn high...
- 'Regimented' UTA employee remembered as...
- Office of Economic Development names...
- Parents look for answers after daughter was...
- LDS Church condemns sexual assault as... 59
- Utah man held 1,164 days in jail... 36
- Former Utah Gov. Mike Leavitt advising... 20
- 'Dirty soda' lawsuit calls shop's... 20
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue... 17
- Sutherland Institute looks to broaden... 15
- Gov. Herbert: Bears Ears resolution... 11
- Utah defends busting theater for... 11