Blue roundup: BYU to Big East attracting more attention
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News archives
Coach Bronco Mendenhall's acknowledgment and confirmation Monday that there have been conversations between BYU and the Big East has attracted plenty of attention around the country.
"BYU would help the Big East create a strong Western division, a requirement of potential new member Boise State, which was authorized last week to accept a Big East invitation by the Idaho state board of education. The Broncos are waiting to see if the league can form that Western football division before accepting an invitation as a football-only member," writes Tom Luicci of the Star-Ledger. "Air Force, SMU, Houston, Central Florida and Navy are also expected to be asked to join the Big East, with the academies being added for football only. The league's stated goal is to have two six-team divisions once Pittsburgh, Syracuse and West Virginia leave following the 2013 season, after all three sit out 27 months as part of the Big East's exit penalty."
Boise State coach Chris Petersen says BYU would be a good partner with the Broncos in the Big East, according to the Idaho Statesman.
Meanwhile, the Tulsa World is publishing numerous emails at the University of Oklahoma that deal with conference realignment. One email is from a BYU alum, and OU professor, telling school president David Boren that the Cougars should not be a member of the Big 12.
"Is there anything that [SDSU A.D.] Jim [Sterk] or I can be doing to share the message about all San Diego State's advantages?" writes Jenny Bramer, SDSU Associate Athletic Director. "Or for that matter sharing all the disadvantages of being in the conference with BYU!"
- Nevada gambling regulators to weigh new...
- Carmelo Anthony among 10 set for US Olympic...
- Jazz snubbed: Agents block players from...
- AP Source: Pacers acquire Thad Young from Nets
- Rio Olympic organizers unveil village where...
- Agent: LeBron James to skip Rio Olympics
- Utah Jazz select Baylor forward Taurean...
- Magic land Serge Ibaka in draft-night trade...
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 149
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 58
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 38
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 31
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 30
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 19
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 19
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 19