Small group of Occupy Salt Lake protesters asked to leave
Kristin Murphy, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Occupy Salt Lake protesters have been asked by Salt Lake police to vacate the private property on State Street where they've been camping since last weekend.
The grassy plot the small group is occupying is about a block away from the Federal Reserve branch and is the second camp set up in the city. A larger group of protesters has been occupying Pioneer Park for more than a month.
Protesters chose the lot at about 150 S. State when they couldn't get city-approved permits, said organizer Skylar Henderson.
"We found out that this was corporate wasted land," Henderson said. It's "wasted," he said, because the company that tore down the previous structure has yet to build anything worthwhile on it that would benefit the local economy.
The out-of-state land owner asked them to leave Monday afternoon.
"The owners of the land have sent a representative here and asked us to leave," said Henderson, a student at Salt Lake Community College.
Salt Lake police have asked them to vacate by Tuesday morning, but Henderson said they will stay put until they are able to get a city-approved permit allowing them to protest around the clock near the city's financial district. Not having an approved location downtown is what drove them to taking over the private property in the first place, he said.
- The pimple dilemma: To pop or not to pop
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Quiz: Which epic Airbnb in Utah should be...
- Police shoot, critically injure 'prime...
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 43
- Mitt Romney says family still wants him... 39
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 38
- Misty Snow likely to advance to general... 37
- Hal Boyd: Why Mitt Romney's family,... 33
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Old West showdown? Freeway cattle drive... 30
- History-making transgender U.S. Senate... 29