James Young, Deseret News
WEST VALLEY CITY — A man was killed Monday after apparently falling off a TRAX platform and underneath a train as it was departing.
About 6:50 a.m., West Valley police say a man was run over and killed by a westbound TRAX train that was just leaving the platform at 1740 W. Research Way (2770 South).
"It appears that the victim fell from the pedestrian platform and between the two train cars," said West Valley Police Sgt. Mike Powell. "He subsequently ended up underneath the train as it departed, resulting in his death."
The man was identified as Clarence Shafer, 57. A bicycle believed to belong to Shafer was found undamaged on the platform.
Powell cautioned all TRAX riders to stay behind the yellow tape at the edge of each TRAX station and to, "Be aware of your surroundings. Avoid distractions — wearing headphones with loud music, talking on the phone, texting. Be aware of what's going on."
Monday's incident marks the 11th accident involving a TRAX train in 2011 and the seventh involving a pedestrian or cyclist. It also marks the fifth fatality this year.
A bus bridge was set up for passengers traveling on the Green Line to get around the accident and back on TRAX. Riders were warned to expect delays Monday morning.
- Doug Robinson: Advocate's plea: Please return...
- Fountain Green holds first Christmas light...
- Baby's first Christmas comes with gift of hope
- Looming knee surgery inspired man to carve canes
- Resting her case: Judge reflects on Cuban...
- Christmas tradition: Judge visits jail to...
- Park City police nab pair suspected of...
- Gary (and Rose) Neeleman: Q and A with a...
- Hatch 'sorry to see' Lee called an... 130
- List of potential prison sites cut to... 44
- Poll: Nearly two-thirds of Utahns... 29
- Mia Love names KSL reporter to head... 18
- Doug Robinson: Advocate's plea: Please... 18
- Police: Gunman said he shot at trooper... 13
- Utah family making renewed push for... 9
- Judge issues summons for 'Super Dell' 9