Utah Department of Public Safety
TREMONTON, Box Elder County — A 51-year-old woman from Mexico was killed Sunday when the vehicle she was riding in rolled on a icy stretch of I-15.
Police say a 2002 Cadillac Escalade was traveling south on I-15 near Tremonton about 8:30 a.m. when the driver lost control of the vehicle on an icy bridge. The Cadillac rolled several times before coming to rest in the median of the divided freeway, police said.
Maria Cristela Ayla Ponce, of Coahuila, Mexico, died from injuries sustained in the crash. The five others in the car, all from San Antonio, suffered varying degrees of injuries.
An 11-year-old boy who was not wearing a seat belt was ejected from the vehicle and suffered a broken leg, police said. A 13-year-old girl was taken to Primary Children's Medical Center with internal injuries.
The 34-year-old driver of the car was taken to University Hospital with head lacerations and a broken clavicle.
A 31-year-old woman was airlifted to McKay-Dee Hospital in Ogden with internal injuries. And a 54-year-old man was taken to Bear River Valley Hospital with minor injuries.
- Granite School District reaches agreement...
- Body cam video helps D.A. clear officer in...
- Police stumped about what caused Springville...
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking...
- Heavy rains flood homes, cemetery in Herriman
- Group wants all to pay 'true' price for...
- Utah in wait-and-see mode on same-sex marriage
- Police probing what caused deaths of...
- Students rally for beard 'revolution'... 85
- Utah gay marriage case first in line at... 57
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking... 38
- Utah in wait-and-see mode on same-sex... 32
- Coast-to-coast horseback ride against... 30
- Granite School District reaches... 20
- Group wants all to pay 'true' price for... 8
- Man accused in BYU gropings ordered to... 7