LOGAN — Junior defender Natalie Norris was named to the 2011 Capital One Academic All-District 8 women’s Soccer first team Friday as selected by the College Sports Information Directors of America.
Norris is racking up the awards as she was named Western Athletic Conference Defensive Player of the Year for the second-straight season on Wednesday. She also earned first-team all-WAC honors.
The Sandy, Utah, native became the first Utah State soccer player to earn CoSIDA honors. The junior has a 3.94 GPA in nutrition, dietetics and food science. She has earned academic all-WAC honors the last two seasons.
The Academic All-District 8 teams include student-athletes that are divided into eight geographic districts across the United States and Canada. This is the first year of the expanded Academic All-America program as CoSIDA moves from recognizing a University Division (Div. I) and a College Division (all non Divi. I) and doubles the number of scholar-athletes honored. The teams include NCAA Div. I, NCAA Div. II and NCAA Div. III participants, while the College Division team combines NAIA, Canadian and two-year schools.
First-team Academic all-District 8 honorees advance to the Capital One Academic All-America Team ballot, where first-, second and third-team All-America honorees will be selected later this month.
On the field, Norris and the Aggies are the top seed in the WAC Tournament in Fresno, Calif. Utah State defeated Idaho, 1-0, on Friday to reach its second WAC Tournament championship match.
In 2008, the Aggies fell to Fresno State, 2-1, in double overtime in Reno, Nev. During the regular season, the Aggies and the Bulldogs tied 0-0 in double overtime in Logan.
Norris is fourth on the team in scoring with four goals for eight points this season.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University.
- UCLA agrees to 15-year deal with Under Armour
- Utah softball beats Kentucky, 5-3, to advance...
- BYU golf: Cougars wrap up second round play...
- Utah defensive lineman reportedly exploring...
- Amy Donaldson: Successful softball season at...
- Kyle Collinsworth to work out for Minnesota...
- Morning links: Tim Lincecum to pitch for the...
- Utah State’s home football game against...
- ESPN's Jake Trotter says it's 'Big 12... 133
- Morning links: Broncos like Devontae... 55
- Brad Rock: This is the Big 12 —of... 39
- Morning links: BYU shirt summits Mt.... 36
- Video: 100 days until college football... 27
- Rivalry renewed: BYU, Utah agree to a... 27
- Utah defensive lineman reportedly... 25
- UCLA agrees to 15-year deal with Under... 18