In particular, the incumbent councilman cited his work with residents during the city's creation of an ordinance protecting riparian areas, as well as open-space preservation efforts.
Luke said he believes the 45.6 percent who cast their ballots for him in the primary, as well as the 25.5 percent who voted for Tracey Harty, show that District 6 is ready for new representation on the council.
"You have 71 percent of the residents voting to go in a different direction than our incumbent," he said. "That's very telling."
Luke said he believes the city has gotten away from taking care of the basics.
"We've neglected infrastructure," he said. "We've neglected our municipal services."
Luke also has been vocal about seeing a police precinct built on the east side, saying east-side officers are spending more time outside the district than they have in the past.
For Garrott, the lack of a serious challenge has made the campaign less stressful. But he said he's missed out on the exchange and discussion of ideas between candidates.
Garrott, a political science professor at the University of Utah, says he will continue to work to make Salt Lake City more walkable and focus on creating and strengthening neighborhood businesses.
Improving walkability, he said, likely means changing zoning in the city to focus more on design and less on uses.
Attempts to reach Gray for comment were unsuccessful.
- Lost recording of an interview with 1867...
- National Weather Service radar mistakes swans...
- Passerby was mistakenly used as translator in...
- Utah husband wins 'Most Memorable Moment'...
- Boulder slams into Rockville home, killing two
- Many Mormon missionaries who return home...
- Charges filed against 'fixer' in ongoing...
- Young adults are faced with risky decision to...
- Pay increase for Gov. Herbert, other... 67
- Legal analysis supports Utah's law on... 37
- Do Utah high school students need four... 30
- Supervolcano hidden in plain sight in... 19
- Rare snowstorm traps I-15 motorists... 14
- Young adults are faced with risky... 14
- John Swallow lost computer hard drive... 12
- Better than a raise: The smallest thing... 11