BYU women's soccer: Strong first half propels Cougars to win over Saint Mary's
MORAGA, Calif. — A season-high three goals in the first half helped propel the BYU women's soccer team to a 4-1 road victory in its final 2011 regular season game against Saint Mary's College and secured fourth place in the West Coast Conference.
Senior goalkeeper McKinzie Olson allowed one goal over 90 minutes — just her 16th of the season. She also tallied seven saves, most of them coming in the second half and from an opponent shooting inside the box.
Olson has made 281 saves in her career at BYU as the all-time career saves leader.
Niki Fernandes, who had injured her wrist earlier in the season, finished off a cross-pass combination from Jepson and Payne for BYU's third goal before the Gaels had a chance to get one of their own.
In the 36th minute, Saint Mary's Daelyn Paul was able to sneak a ball past Olson after a scuffle in the box for Saint Mary's lone goal of the game. Paul finished with two shots on the day while teammate Jordan Marada led all players with six shots.
BYU's total of 25 shots against the Gaels ties their previous season-high.
In the second half, Saint Mary's turned up the offensive pressure and took eight shots but Olson again came up with big saves for BYU. In the 57th and 69th minutes, Olson stopped shots from inside the box to keep the Gaels with just one goal.
The Cougars finish the regular season with an 11-5-3 overall record and a 5-2-1 record in their first season inthe West Coast Conference.
The NCAA Tournament field of 64 teams will be unveiled live on the NCAA web site Monday afternoon at 2:30 p.m.
- The 16 most interesting college lists...
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit after ACC...
- Lone Peak guard, former BYU commit Jackson,...
- Red and blue recruits: Inside Britain Covey's...
- Austin Collie signs with CFL's BC Lions,...
- BYU basketball: Cougars shake up starting...
- BYU holds on for 78-74 win over San Francisco
- BYU basketball analysis: Cougars' big men...
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit... 67
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 61
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 35
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 35
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball,... 34
- Peavler: BYU's recent basketball... 19
- Morning links: Austin Collie denies... 19
- BYU's prolific offense undermined by... 16