Odds and Ends: The missionary, the chaplain and the bishop
Wake Forest University
Robert Gmeiner’s LDS mission changed his life.
Gmeiner, a student at Wake Forest Univesity, recently wrote about his two years as a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Russia and how it impacted his life in a feature called “Student Storytellers” on the Wake Forest website.
In his article, Gmeiner discussed his reasons for going, where he labored and the mighty lessons he learned.
“The greatest lesson I brought back can be summed up in a single sentence, ‘Do it all for their sake,’” Gmeiner wrote. “That was my reason for serving the mission. Fulfillment comes for serving others, not seeking our own rewards. My service strengthened me in so many ways. I learned to value the things that really matter most in life – family, integrity, devotion to principles and hard work.”
Gabriel Hess is another college student that wants to serve others in a similar way. Hess, who grew up in the Washington, D.C., area, wants to be a military chaplain.
An article was published in the BYU Daily Universe about Hess and his decision to serve as a military chaplain.
A group of LDS high school students were featured last June in an article by the Kent Reporter, in Kent, Wash., for earning their four-year seminary and high school graduation diplomas.
New leaders have been called to serve in a Latter-day Saint congregation in Northern Missouri.
An article in the Gallatin North Missourian reports that Bryan Youd will serve as bishop, with Michael Steele and Todd Shingleton as his counselors.
Bishops typically serve for about five years. These leaders earn their own living and receive no pay for their service.
Bishop Youd and his family moved to the Gallatin area about seven years ago from Ohio. He has been employed as executive vice-president for MainePointe for about five years. He and his wife have been married for 26 years. They are the parents of four children and have one grandson. Bishop Youd served a mission in Chile.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: tbtoone
- Police interviewing some of the 12 girls...
- Responding to Trump, Clinton says he has 'no...
- 1st edition Book of Mormon sells for $52,500...
- Pope prays at Armenia memorial after...
- LDS Church releases new video of Elder...
- Warnings come true: Indicted FLDS leader Lyle...
- Utah welcomes His Holiness the 14th Dalai...
- Twila Van Leer: What family history treasures...
- Mormon youth leader dies on trek outing... 70
- LDS Church releases new video of Elder... 34
- Defending the Faith: The challenge... 27
- Survey: White evangelicals say US no... 21
- Trump to top evangelicals:... 19
- Warnings come true: Indicted FLDS... 18
- Elder Holland introduces new Mormon... 15
- Report says list of ‘Islamophobic... 11