Odds and Ends: The missionary, the chaplain and the bishop
Wake Forest University
Robert Gmeiner’s LDS mission changed his life.
Gmeiner, a student at Wake Forest Univesity, recently wrote about his two years as a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Russia and how it impacted his life in a feature called “Student Storytellers” on the Wake Forest website.
In his article, Gmeiner discussed his reasons for going, where he labored and the mighty lessons he learned.
“The greatest lesson I brought back can be summed up in a single sentence, ‘Do it all for their sake,’” Gmeiner wrote. “That was my reason for serving the mission. Fulfillment comes for serving others, not seeking our own rewards. My service strengthened me in so many ways. I learned to value the things that really matter most in life – family, integrity, devotion to principles and hard work.”
Gabriel Hess is another college student that wants to serve others in a similar way. Hess, who grew up in the Washington, D.C., area, wants to be a military chaplain.
An article was published in the BYU Daily Universe about Hess and his decision to serve as a military chaplain.
A group of LDS high school students were featured last June in an article by the Kent Reporter, in Kent, Wash., for earning their four-year seminary and high school graduation diplomas.
New leaders have been called to serve in a Latter-day Saint congregation in Northern Missouri.
An article in the Gallatin North Missourian reports that Bryan Youd will serve as bishop, with Michael Steele and Todd Shingleton as his counselors.
Bishops typically serve for about five years. These leaders earn their own living and receive no pay for their service.
Bishop Youd and his family moved to the Gallatin area about seven years ago from Ohio. He has been employed as executive vice-president for MainePointe for about five years. He and his wife have been married for 26 years. They are the parents of four children and have one grandson. Bishop Youd served a mission in Chile.
Email: email@example.com Twitter: tbtoone
- 15 lesser-known but important events in LDS...
- LDS missionary surprises mom with homecoming...
- President Uchtdorf to preside at Clark...
- Here's a crazy idea: Alex Boye and 'The Book...
- Was this mass baptism at a Georgia high...
- BYU Education Week 2015: 'Was that Revelation...
- President Uchtdorf dedicates addition to...
- LDS addiction recovery video: Austin’s...
- ... 68
- Compromise could fix Kentucky's wedding... 62
- Discovery of chiasmus in Book of Mormon... 52
- Defending the Faith: 'He became man... 51
- Obama bristles at anti-Semitism charges... 17
- LDS addiction recovery video: David's... 12
- LDS missionary surprises mom with... 10
- Ky. clerk’s office will issue... 10