Scott G. Winterton, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Gov. Gary Herbert wrapped up a trade mission to Alberta, Canada, Friday, a trip that was labeled "notably successful" by his economic development office.
"As one of Utah's top trading partners, Canada provides excellent opportunities for Utah companies to increase sales and grow Utah-based jobs," Herbert said. "In fact, I understand some of Utah's delegation members are close to closing sales with only these first meetings."
Williamsen Manufacturing, which has government contracts for missile transporters and other specialty trailers, reported to the office that more than $1 million in potential business as a result of participating in the three-day trade mission that ended Thursday.
Another company, PTLX Global, said several million dollars in possible business opportunities are expected once the company's equipment is tested on Canadian underground mining vehicles, the office said.
Industry events in agriculture, energy, tourism and unmanned vehicle systems were held during the trade mission in addition to meetings between the Utah companies participating and their Canadian counterparts.
"Canadian companies are looking for U.S. partners," said Miguel Rovira, the office's regional director of the Americas. "This trade mission, led by Gov. Herbert, opened doors for Utah firms to expand their sales into a major market that will help support Utah job development in the coming years."
- 9 things I wish I had known before my mission
- Sandy officer shoots, critically injures man...
- Woman dies, husband critically injured in...
- The truth about addiction
- Heavy rain damages roads, floods basements in...
- Chaffetz expected to announce he's running...
- Missing 18-month-old Layton boy found...
- Small group of Ordain Women supporters gather...
- Hatch calls shutting down government... 67
- Chaffetz expected to announce he's... 49
- Federal judge halts Herbert directive... 39
- New Medicaid expansion plan unveiled to... 27
- Is convicted killer innocent? Group... 24
- Gun control laws won't stop mass... 22
- Herbert, other governors slam federal... 20
- Woman said she felt protected in ordeal... 19