Scott G. Winterton, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Gov. Gary Herbert wrapped up a trade mission to Alberta, Canada, Friday, a trip that was labeled "notably successful" by his economic development office.
"As one of Utah's top trading partners, Canada provides excellent opportunities for Utah companies to increase sales and grow Utah-based jobs," Herbert said. "In fact, I understand some of Utah's delegation members are close to closing sales with only these first meetings."
Williamsen Manufacturing, which has government contracts for missile transporters and other specialty trailers, reported to the office that more than $1 million in potential business as a result of participating in the three-day trade mission that ended Thursday.
Another company, PTLX Global, said several million dollars in possible business opportunities are expected once the company's equipment is tested on Canadian underground mining vehicles, the office said.
Industry events in agriculture, energy, tourism and unmanned vehicle systems were held during the trade mission in addition to meetings between the Utah companies participating and their Canadian counterparts.
"Canadian companies are looking for U.S. partners," said Miguel Rovira, the office's regional director of the Americas. "This trade mission, led by Gov. Herbert, opened doors for Utah firms to expand their sales into a major market that will help support Utah job development in the coming years."
- Bluffdale homeowner becomes victim of...
- Bear spends two hours trying to enter...
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns Utahns of...
- Solar energy users claim victory as 'sun tax'...
- About Utah: A Salt Lake hit for 152 years ......
- Crews rescue two hikers on Mount Timpanogos
- Doug Robinson: Looking back on a cop's career
- Duchesne County man pleads guilty to federal...
- Becky Lockhart serious about... 32
- Gay rights activists to fight charges... 22
- Police reviewing possible nightclub... 16
- Solar energy users claim victory as... 14
- Gov.: Elected officials need to serve... 11
- U. tailgating carries tradition of... 10
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns... 10
- Missionary, police testify against man... 8