Then there came a landslide of awkward moments. Like hugging my oblivious neighbor, after I had quietly moved back into my parents' house, as she asked, "And how is the new bride doing these days?" Besides the humiliation and despair of a failed marriage, I felt an immense amount of guilt. She had given us such a generous donation of money and I had nothing to show for it. I knew the right thing to do was to give back all the presents and money, but because we were on such a tight student budget, we had spent most of it on living expenses.
I had that awful sensation of feeling as though I had let everyone down.
A few months after my divorce was finalized I graduated from college and started dating again. I picked myself up and brushed myself off. In the years that followed I realized I could be proud of myself for following intuition and facing the humility of getting divorced after a few months of marriage. It was the best decision for me. There were no children, few financial obligations and a very short shared spot of life to put behind me. (And, at least everyone knew I was grateful for what they had contributed to that short marriage because there was a black-ink, engraved, handwritten note to prove it.)
Of course, like Kim, I should've had the courage to bow out of the marriage before it happened. But that is another essay entirely.
It should be noted, as well, the next time I married (a year and a half later), I eloped to Las Vegas. I had also learned my lesson about stressful, pricey, showboat weddings.
So I say, good luck to you, Kim Kardashian. In your world of luxury, it's nice to know you can take advantage of one of the finest: the ability to try, try again.
C. Jane Kendrick writes for cjanerun.com, is on facebook as C.Jane Kendrick and tweets as CJaneKendrick. She lives in Provo with her husband and two children.
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Doug Robinson: How this woman's focus on...
- Man falls 70 feet to his death in Provo
- Man shot dead in Midvale; alleged shooter in...
- 4 arrested in connection with fatal Cedar...
- Midvale killing may be case of self-defense,...
- Pregnant woman killed in collision with...
- Man shot in crowded Liberty Park during...
- If Mitt Romney endorsed Gary Johnson,... 80
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 65
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 48
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 24
- Sanders urges Utah and other... 24
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 21
- Shurtleff exonerated, but questions and... 19
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 17