Then there came a landslide of awkward moments. Like hugging my oblivious neighbor, after I had quietly moved back into my parents' house, as she asked, "And how is the new bride doing these days?" Besides the humiliation and despair of a failed marriage, I felt an immense amount of guilt. She had given us such a generous donation of money and I had nothing to show for it. I knew the right thing to do was to give back all the presents and money, but because we were on such a tight student budget, we had spent most of it on living expenses.
I had that awful sensation of feeling as though I had let everyone down.
A few months after my divorce was finalized I graduated from college and started dating again. I picked myself up and brushed myself off. In the years that followed I realized I could be proud of myself for following intuition and facing the humility of getting divorced after a few months of marriage. It was the best decision for me. There were no children, few financial obligations and a very short shared spot of life to put behind me. (And, at least everyone knew I was grateful for what they had contributed to that short marriage because there was a black-ink, engraved, handwritten note to prove it.)
Of course, like Kim, I should've had the courage to bow out of the marriage before it happened. But that is another essay entirely.
It should be noted, as well, the next time I married (a year and a half later), I eloped to Las Vegas. I had also learned my lesson about stressful, pricey, showboat weddings.
So I say, good luck to you, Kim Kardashian. In your world of luxury, it's nice to know you can take advantage of one of the finest: the ability to try, try again.
C. Jane Kendrick writes for cjanerun.com, is on facebook as C.Jane Kendrick and tweets as CJaneKendrick. She lives in Provo with her husband and two children.
- Living on the edge: North Salt Lake residents...
- One man dead after attempted carjacking in Orem
- Body in suitcase is not missing Provo woman,...
- Who should pay? City, developer, residents at...
- LDS artist J. Kirk Richards says leaps of...
- Wedding put on hold after BYU student kicked...
- Video: Town crier announces birth of...
- 11 signs you're a Jeep driver
- Opposing sides of same-sex marriage... 125
- Outcome of same-sex marriage case hard... 54
- Stewart, Bishop launch group to take... 37
- Herbert, legislative leaders starting... 29
- Mitt Romney tells UVU grads to 'live a... 22
- 2 Utah chiefs with Baltimore ties say... 19
- Provo businessman declines push to run... 19
- LDS Church donates $100,000 to combat... 19