SALT LAKE CITY — IKEA plans to install solar energy panels at three U.S. locations, including the store in Draper.
Pending governmental permits, rooftop installation of the nearly 10,000 total panels will begin next year, and should be completed in spring 2012. Using calculations from www.epa.gov/cleanenergy/energy-resources/calculator.html, IKEA stated in a press release that the Utah store will generate 1.49 million kilowatt hours per year. That’s the equivalent of reducing 1,130 tons of CO2, which equals 202 cars’ emissions or 124 homes’ electricity.
The plans bring the number of IKEA locations in this country that will have a solar program to 23, more than half of the company’s U.S. presence.
“We are thrilled that the installation of solar panels at these three stores will continue our rollout of solar energy programs across the country,” said Mike Ward, IKEA U.S. president. “This initiative, part of the company’s never-ending list of sustainable activities, will lower the carbon intensity of the electric grid and the U.S. carbon footprint of IKEA.”
IKEA will own and operate each of its solar PV energy systems atop its buildings — as opposed to a solar lease or PPA (power purchase agreement).
There are currently more than 320 IKEA stores in 39 countries, including 38 in the U.S. IKEA incorporates sustainable efforts into day-to-day business and supports initiatives that benefit children and the environment. For more information, go to IKEA-USA.com.
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't make comparisons when...
- Raising a kid will cost you $245,000 —...
- Facebook makes the most obvious move ever...
- 12 kinds of late-night office emails
- 7 benefits of taking vacation time
- Twitter tries to block images of James Foley...
- Utah exceeds Gov. Herbert's jobs goal
- Proposed collector natural gas lines in Moab...
- Emerging solar plants scorch birds in... 14
- 12 women who should be on dollar bills 13
- Raising a kid will cost you $245,000... 9
- Proposed collector natural gas lines in... 7
- Balancing act: Readers dispute... 4
- New grant money helps combat air pollution 4
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't make... 4
- Utah exceeds Gov. Herbert's jobs goal 4