ROBERT LEE, Texas (AP) — A judge has sentenced a follower of polygamist leader Warren Jeffs to seven years in prison for bigamy and child sex assault.
Leroy Johnson Steed pleaded no contest Tuesday to two counts of bigamy and one of child sex assault in state district court in Robert Lee, the San Angelo Standard-Times reported.
Steed is the 10th of 12 men in the Jeffs-led Fundamentalist LDS Church to be prosecuted with evidence from an April 2008 raid on the Yearning For Zion Ranch in Schleicher County.
State District Judge Barbara Walther handed down the sentence before in the same Coke County courtroom where she is presiding over the trial of former FLDS bishop Fredrick Merril Jessop.
- In Ferguson, mundane choices lead to tragedy
- Ogden home burglarized while family attends...
- Service dog killed in Murray house fire
- Bicyclist hospitalized after DUI impact,...
- Utah lawmakers contemplate law requiring body...
- Traffic stops for texting while driving increase
- Utah to pay plaintiffs in marriage...
- 1 killed in rollover on Trappers Loop
- As Ferguson verdict is read, protesters... 70
- Prayers, protests raised in Utah as... 38
- Utah to pay plaintiffs in marriage... 34
- 12-year-old girl dies in accidental... 29
- Ogden attorney sues Weber School... 28
- Utah lawmakers contemplate law... 26
- Students dress in Sunday best to honor... 18
- Ferguson businesses torched in... 17