ROBERT LEE, Texas (AP) — A judge has sentenced a follower of polygamist leader Warren Jeffs to seven years in prison for bigamy and child sex assault.
Leroy Johnson Steed pleaded no contest Tuesday to two counts of bigamy and one of child sex assault in state district court in Robert Lee, the San Angelo Standard-Times reported.
Steed is the 10th of 12 men in the Jeffs-led Fundamentalist LDS Church to be prosecuted with evidence from an April 2008 raid on the Yearning For Zion Ranch in Schleicher County.
State District Judge Barbara Walther handed down the sentence before in the same Coke County courtroom where she is presiding over the trial of former FLDS bishop Fredrick Merril Jessop.
- Cheerleading coach who worked as youth...
- Motorcyclist dies after collision near Utah Lake
- Job A Day program gives homeless people...
- Security guard accidentally shot in South...
- ATV rollover critically injures man in...
- Fire rips through Draper garage during...
- BYU-Idaho student, father killed in Sunday crash
- Slain Brigham City mom remembered as loving,...
- Wild, windy, wet weather wallops... 17
- Second student sues district over... 14
- Cheerleading coach who worked as youth... 11
- Salt Lake police shooting in March... 7
- A dozen teens charged in eggs vandalism... 5
- Man charged in dangerous chase to take... 4
- Man killed ex-wife, then called police... 4
- Convictions of 2 in S.L. sex assault... 4