ROBERT LEE, Texas (AP) — A judge has sentenced a follower of polygamist leader Warren Jeffs to seven years in prison for bigamy and child sex assault.
Leroy Johnson Steed pleaded no contest Tuesday to two counts of bigamy and one of child sex assault in state district court in Robert Lee, the San Angelo Standard-Times reported.
Steed is the 10th of 12 men in the Jeffs-led Fundamentalist LDS Church to be prosecuted with evidence from an April 2008 raid on the Yearning For Zion Ranch in Schleicher County.
State District Judge Barbara Walther handed down the sentence before in the same Coke County courtroom where she is presiding over the trial of former FLDS bishop Fredrick Merril Jessop.
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Police shoot, critically injure 'prime...
- Fire destroys Millcreek home after downed...
- Woman surrenders after SWAT standoff in Roy
- Shurtleff files motion to dismiss case
- 31-year-old man drowns at Blackridge...
- Crews continue to battle 'inaccessible'...
- 4-year-old boy dies, woman suffers severe...
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Shurtleff files motion to dismiss case 8
- Father, son charged with murder in... 5
- 1-year-old Riverton boy left in hot... 4
- 31-year-old man drowns at Blackridge... 3
- 3 children, mother located after Amber... 3
- Volkswagen settles emissions-cheating... 3
- Old West showdown? Freeway cattle drive... 2