ROBERT LEE, Texas (AP) — A judge has sentenced a follower of polygamist leader Warren Jeffs to seven years in prison for bigamy and child sex assault.
Leroy Johnson Steed pleaded no contest Tuesday to two counts of bigamy and one of child sex assault in state district court in Robert Lee, the San Angelo Standard-Times reported.
Steed is the 10th of 12 men in the Jeffs-led Fundamentalist LDS Church to be prosecuted with evidence from an April 2008 raid on the Yearning For Zion Ranch in Schleicher County.
State District Judge Barbara Walther handed down the sentence before in the same Coke County courtroom where she is presiding over the trial of former FLDS bishop Fredrick Merril Jessop.
- Watch out for Utah Highway Patrol 'slow-down'...
- 3 women hospitalized, 1 horse dead in Orem crash
- Man arrested for allegedly enticing teen on...
- Martin MacNeill gets maximum sentence for...
- Ex-Clearfield High teacher takes plea deal in...
- Two UHP troopers hit just hours apart in...
- Police release names of officers involved in...
- Body of missing boater found in Flaming Gorge
- Police release names of officers... 36
- Striking or spanking a child is not a... 20
- Protest ride results in charges against... 20
- Lawmakers, critics debate... 16
- Groups appeal decision in Utah nuclear... 12
- Martin MacNeill gets maximum sentence... 10
- Police: Panhandler pulls woman from car... 9
- 146 people become U.S. citizens in... 5