ROBERT LEE, Texas (AP) — A judge has sentenced a follower of polygamist leader Warren Jeffs to seven years in prison for bigamy and child sex assault.
Leroy Johnson Steed pleaded no contest Tuesday to two counts of bigamy and one of child sex assault in state district court in Robert Lee, the San Angelo Standard-Times reported.
Steed is the 10th of 12 men in the Jeffs-led Fundamentalist LDS Church to be prosecuted with evidence from an April 2008 raid on the Yearning For Zion Ranch in Schleicher County.
State District Judge Barbara Walther handed down the sentence before in the same Coke County courtroom where she is presiding over the trial of former FLDS bishop Fredrick Merril Jessop.
- University of Utah student in critical...
- Provo man killed brother-in-law in...
- Police still looking for person who...
- Police: Gunman killed after shooting at FSU
- Preliminary hearing set for teen accused of...
- Firing squads could be legal again in Utah
- Officer, fleeing suspect crash through glass...
- "We had so many plans" fiancee of slain band...
- Firing squads could be legal again in Utah 16
- 'I failed horribly,' says mother of... 9
- Audio recorder found hidden in BYU... 8
- UHP still concerned but won't oppose... 7
- Prosecutors agree to separate John... 7
- Crispi pleads guilty to reckless... 7
- Extra police expected at Brighton High... 5
- Trio pleads guilty to burglarizing... 5