ROBERT LEE, Texas (AP) — A judge has sentenced a follower of polygamist leader Warren Jeffs to seven years in prison for bigamy and child sex assault.
Leroy Johnson Steed pleaded no contest Tuesday to two counts of bigamy and one of child sex assault in state district court in Robert Lee, the San Angelo Standard-Times reported.
Steed is the 10th of 12 men in the Jeffs-led Fundamentalist LDS Church to be prosecuted with evidence from an April 2008 raid on the Yearning For Zion Ranch in Schleicher County.
State District Judge Barbara Walther handed down the sentence before in the same Coke County courtroom where she is presiding over the trial of former FLDS bishop Fredrick Merril Jessop.
- Bluffdale homeowner becomes victim of...
- Crews rescue two hikers on Mount Timpanogos
- Man, 69, missing after his boat capsizes in...
- Fallen officer Derek Johnson remembered at...
- Man charged in Utah double killing appeals...
- Duchesne County man pleads guilty to federal...
- Prosecutors to seek death penalty in cellmate...
- Man stole ring, woman swallowed it, police say
- Gay rights activists to fight charges... 22
- Police reviewing possible nightclub... 16
- Missionary, police testify against man... 8
- Man charged with killing baby in Ogden... 8
- Bluffdale homeowner becomes victim of... 6
- Many questions remain in case of baby... 5
- Why would a parent abandon a child? A... 5
- Man charged in Utah double killing... 5