Centerville man shot by neighbor is upgraded to stable
CENTERVILLE — A man who told police he shot his neighbor because he claimed the neighbor was "telepathically" raping his wife has been charged with trying to kill him.
Michael Selleneit, 53, of Centerville, was charged Monday in 2nd District Court with attempted murder, a first-degree felony, and possession of a firearm by a restricted person, a second-degree felony.
Meanwhile, victim Tony Pierce, 41, was upgraded to stable condition Tuesday and has been communicating with others.
Pierce was working in his yard, 555 N. 400 West, Sunday when his neighbor, unprovoked, fired at him multiple times, shooting him once in the back and once in the leg.
Selleneit told police he shot Pierce in self defense and intended to kill him, claiming that he had been "telepathically threatening he and his wife" and had telepathically raped his wife, according to police documents.
Selleneit has made similar claims of both Pierce and others for years. Police said they have never found evidence that any of the claims were true.
Selleneit was a restricted person because of a felony conviction in 1990 of forcible sex abuse of a child. Court records indicate that Selleneit pleaded guilty but mentally ill to an amended charge of attempted sexual abuse of a child. He was given a suspended prison sentence and was sent to the Utah State Hospital.
The gun used in Sunday's shooting was reportedly purchased by Selleneit's wife about a year ago at a pawn shop.
- Idea for Burt's Bees land to become park...
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama administration...
- 5 memorable ways to pamper your family this...
- Provo’s Bikes and Trikes Festival is...
- Cedar Hills’ Family Festival kicks off...
- Don't know what's causing your infection? Ask...
- U. study shows how huge landslide shaped Zion...
- Are Utahns tiring of Mitt Romney... 109
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 40
- Salt Lake's next skyscraper? Proposed... 22
- Hatch steadfast in holding up Supreme... 17
- Sen. Hatch set to tour Utah's national... 15
- Skateboarder dies after being shot in... 10
- Utah lawsuit challenges porn filter fees 9
- IRS scam goes far beyond a phone call... 8