CENTERVILLE — A man who told police he shot his neighbor because he claimed the neighbor was "telepathically" raping his wife has been charged with trying to kill him.
Michael Selleneit, 53, of Centerville, was charged Monday in 2nd District Court with attempted murder, a first-degree felony, and possession of a firearm by a restricted person, a second-degree felony.
Meanwhile, victim Tony Pierce, 41, was upgraded to stable condition Tuesday and has been communicating with others.
Pierce was working in his yard, 555 N. 400 West, Sunday when his neighbor, unprovoked, fired at him multiple times, shooting him once in the back and once in the leg.
Selleneit told police he shot Pierce in self defense and intended to kill him, claiming that he had been "telepathically threatening he and his wife" and had telepathically raped his wife, according to police documents.
Selleneit has made similar claims of both Pierce and others for years. Police said they have never found evidence that any of the claims were true.
Selleneit was a restricted person because of a felony conviction in 1990 of forcible sex abuse of a child. Court records indicate that Selleneit pleaded guilty but mentally ill to an amended charge of attempted sexual abuse of a child. He was given a suspended prison sentence and was sent to the Utah State Hospital.
The gun used in Sunday's shooting was reportedly purchased by Selleneit's wife about a year ago at a pawn shop.
- Lehi airman pulls off 'Operation Surprise'...
- Family of BYU student hit by car say they are...
- Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit offers chance to...
- Gov. Herbert threatens veto of House...
- 'Pay the price or go dark': Going digital a...
- Advocates rally and 'roar' for...
- FBI investigating shooting of Fort Duchesne man
- Utah Democrats offer full Medicaid expansion...
- National, local businesses file briefs... 52
- Advocates rally and 'roar' for... 49
- Family of BYU student hit by car say... 38
- Utah Democrats offer full Medicaid... 31
- Attempt to raise minimum wage in Utah... 29
- LDS missionary from Utah dies in Sweden... 23
- Birth father rights the focus of two... 22
- 'Win-win solution' keeps Utah caucus... 20