Last year, BYU and ESPN formed a partnership — and eight-year broadcasting deal. It allows the Cougars, who are in their first season as an independent, to be seen on a regular basis on national television.
There's been plenty of upheaval in college football realignment in the past year, and a USA Today report asks, is ESPN "the main force behind realignment in college sports?"
"For all that ESPN has lent to the growth of major-college athletics — through on-air exposure and with rights-fees payouts that schools have fed into stadium improvements, luxurious locker rooms and huge contracts for top coaches — there's an undercurrent of concern about the influence of the self-proclaimed Worldwide Leader in Sports," USA Today reports. "It's not just that its tentacles are everywhere: They're everywhere at once."
Speaking of conference realignment, the Big East is looking to expand, and BYU is a program the league is considering.
"They could also go back out west and pick up BYU which is an idea that is gaining momentum as the Utah-based school might be willing to join as a football-only member," writes Jim Williams. "That would be a great move to the Big East if BYU wants to leave their present independent status and join with Boise State, Air Force, SMU, Houston and Louisville in the West."
Finally, BYU is picked to finish third this season in this West Coast Conference preview.
- Past few days 'difficult' for former...
- Defending champ Serena Williams at Wimbledon...
- Chile wins 2nd straight Copa America title as...
- Messi's retirement from Argentina could hurt...
- Most common names of NBA players this season
- Injured Lochte plows ahead in 200 free at US...
- Djokovic beat James Ward to open bid for 5th...
- Durant, Anthony lead US Olympic basketball team
- Kalani Sitake on BYU-Utah rivalry: 'I... 81
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 59
- Morning links: Colin Cowherd compares... 59
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 51
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 44
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 20
- Utes have a lot of depth on the... 18
- Utah football: Williams, McCormick... 18