Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Costumed canines were everywhere and nowhere Sunday afternoon at The Gateway.
For one afternoon, at least, the 1970s-era "invisible dogs" were back in style.
The "dog" walkers' goal was to call attention to the hundreds of thousands of real but unseen dogs waiting to be adopted in animal shelters across the nation.
"There are so many wonderful, adorable dogs up for adoption at shelters and in rescue groups," said Temma Martin of Best Friends Animal Society. "We feel that people aren't as aware of them as they could be."
At its heart, the Best Friends' Invisible Dogs campaign was an adoption program, Martin said. The spectacle of a group of invisible dogs out for a Sunday stroll was created to encourage shoppers to ask questions.
"When they ask, 'What are you doing?' We're going to ask them to start seeing invisible dogs and to check their local shelters for a pet to adopt," Martin said.
Prospective pet owners often don't realize the extent of options available — including pure-bred dogs — at animal shelters, she said.
Martin encourages those looking to add a furry family member to visit Petfinder, an online searchable database of animals that need homes.
For more information about Best Friends Animal Society's Invisible Dogs campaign, visit www.invisibledogs.org.
- Search warrants: Poisoning suspected in...
- Officers say they shot Darrien Hunt out of...
- West Jordan boy loses battle with leukemia,...
- Three amendments to Utah Constitution on the...
- Orem’s most notorious eyesore to be...
- SLC man builds 2,000-pound, fiire-breathing...
- Sex abuse claims against Utah educator who...
- 'The time is right' for a digital conversion,...
- Doug Owens ahead of Mia Love in new poll 58
- Most Utah students aren't proficient in... 53
- State autopsy: Police shot Darrien Hunt... 34
- Officers say they shot Darrien Hunt out... 28
- Utah among lowest in nation in... 20
- Sex abuse claims against Utah educator... 20
- Low SAGE scores 'not a surprise' in... 19
- Final debate between Mia Love and Doug... 19