Man arrested, accused of running gambling operation
SALT LAKE CITY — A man accused of running a gambling operation has been arrested by Salt Lake police.
Nikalaos Stanworth, 34, was arrested for investigation of felony money laundering and racketeering and three gambling related misdemeanors.
Police released few details about the alleged operation Friday, but said it involved "large sums of money," said Salt Lake police detective Dennis McGowan.
On Thursday, members of the Salt Lake Police Department and Drug Enforcement Administration served a search warrant on Stanworth's Holladay home.
"During the service of this warrant, gambling, gambling promotions, and possession of gambling devices were observed by law enforcement," according to a Salt Lake County Jail report.
Stanworth has continued his gambling operations while out on pre-trial arrest for the same offense, according to jail records. In August, Stanworth was charged with 10 counts in 3rd District Court, including money laundering and gambling promotion.
According to court documents filed with Stanworth's August charges, a confidential informant observed poker games in Stanworth's basement on several occasions that involved about a dozen people. "The standard buy-in to the game was $500," according to court documents.
When Stanworth was arrested in May, he had more than $1,000 cash in his pocket while another man had more than $6,000 cash.
Detectives say Stanworth had not filed a Utah State tax return since 2005. He always paid his rent, however, on time in cash.
- Utah's first family of rodeo: Riding buckin'...
- Tanker crash sends oil into Provo River as...
- Olene Walker, "one of Utah's finest public...
- Hillary's grace: Watching her daughter...
- MTC missionaries spend Thanksgiving preparing...
- Icy roads blamed for Cedar City car crash...
- Local cowboys: A new foursome for the...
- Students hope to invent windows of the future
- Ogden woman sues trooper, alleging he... 36
- Olene Walker, "one of Utah's finest... 15
- Man steals woman's boarding pass,... 13
- The new Thanksgiving tradition: A quick... 11
- MTC missionaries spend Thanksgiving... 10
- Utah liquor consumption is up, but... 8
- Recruiting crisis? UHP, other agencies... 6
- Tanker crash sends oil into Provo River... 6