Pat Reavy, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — A Salt Lake police officer shot a man outside a downtown fast-food restaurant Friday afternoon.
Police released few details, but said a plain-clothed police officer fired multiple shots at a man who had been the focus of an ongoing investigation, striking him once in the stomach.
The victim, a man in his 30s, was transported to a local hospital in serious condition.
Yellow crime scene tape surrounded the perimeter of McDonald's, 210 W. 500 South, Friday. A passenger vehicle, with its rear backed up to the curb next to the building on the east-side of the restaurant, had two bullet holes in the windshield and the side passenger window was shot out.
Stanley Carter, who lives nearby, said he heard three or four quick shots fired in succession about 5 p.m. and ran out of his home to see what had happened. He said an officer told him another officer had shot someone.
Lauren Brower was supposed to pick up her husband at the restaurant on their way to a football game. He told her he saw the person inside the vehicle and heard a police officer yell, "Stop or I'll shoot!"
Brower said the driver put the car in reverse and that's when the officer opened fire.
"We thought it was a safe place to drop off a car," said Brower.
The man who was shot was the subject of an ongoing investigation, said Salt Lake police detective Dennis McGowan. His name was not immediately released. Police also did not say Friday what kind of investigation the man was a subject of or what transpired between him and the officer that prompted him to shoot.
The officer was placed on standard paid administrative leave pending an investigation.
Email: email@example.com Twitter: DNewsCrimeTeam
- After more than 6 years, 3 families yearn for...
- Strong winds cause damage, possibly fatal...
- Millcreek man faces child abuse homicide...
- Sen. Orrin Hatch headed to Israel to meet...
- About Utah: Want a ride to the past? Matt...
- New strategies eliminate long waitlist for...
- 7 crazy-awesome natural arches and bridges in...
- Thousands attend second Utah Lantern Fest
- With Trump on top, Romney will not... 83
- Utah GOP all in for Cruz, but Trump... 59
- Dog accused of biting child ordered to... 49
- Utah GOP leaders ready to support... 47
- Award recipient's affiliation draws ire... 36
- Climate change and national forests:... 33
- Robert F. Bennett, former three-term... 28
- S.L. City Council unsure what to expect... 21