If I were to pick an artist who is the epitome of wholesome, honest-to-goodness talent and class it would be Hilary Weeks.
I’ve been privileged to travel to several cities around the country with Weeks speaking at Time Out for Women and Girls events for Deseret Book. A few weeks ago in Reno, Nev., I watched her perform the song “Living Proof” from her new album “Every Step.” Once again, I was in awe of her talent to portray such real emotion live on any stage, anywhere. She has a unique ability to feel out the exact emotion of a room and convey her message to that specific audience perfectly.
I’ve heard her many times on the radio or listening to one of her great albums, and her live voice sounds just as flawless as her recordings. In fact, it’s even better.
I was actually a little surprised to hear her stretching her range and belting out some notes I had no idea she could hit. That’s one of the great things about Weeks: She is constantly growing and improving upon her talents.
Besides being a talented performer, musician, songwriter, producer and vocalist, Weeks also wears the hat of motivational speaker quite well. Sharing her stories and feelings comes naturally to her, as does her dry sense of humor.
One of my favorite songs from “Every Step,” besides the upbeat, inspiring “Living Proof,” is her latest single, “Beautiful Heartbreak." This moving song is about the challenges we face in life that, though difficult and extremely trying at the time, can change our lives for the good and turn out to be beautiful growing experiences after all.
I have loved getting to know this incredible woman over the last few months. I have been privileged to share the stage with her and have been grateful not only for the personally motivating music she has created, but for the chance to look up to and learn from such a genuine person as well.
I still get chills when I hear her sing. I am still moved by her messages. She is, dare I say, getting even better with age.
And that’s what I love about Hilary Weeks.
Carmen Rasmusen Herbert is a former “American Idol” contestant who writes about entertainment for the Deseret News.
- Expelling Santa from school? Holiday...
- TV Review: Broadway wins in live 'Sound of...
- 'Sound of Music' alive for 18.5 million viewers
- Tips for LDS bloggers from the 'ultimate...
- Carrie Underwood stars in NBC's 'The Sound of...
- The Killers collaborates with Owen Wilson and...
- Sundance Film Festival to debut new section...
- Saving Africa? New book casts harsh light on...
- Expelling Santa from school? Holiday... 12
- TV Review: Broadway wins in live 'Sound... 11
- The Killers collaborates with Owen... 7
- Saving Africa? New book casts harsh... 6
- 'Sound of Music' alive for 18.5 million... 5
- Alpine woman is a dessert contest,... 5
- Faith sustained author through... 5
- Tips for LDS bloggers from the... 4