Kristin Murphy, Deseret News
For weeks, BYU has been considered a candidate for the Big 12, but nothing has materialized at this point. The Big 12 is reportedly considering West Virginia, Louisville and BYU.
Now, there are reports that the Cougars could be invited to the Big East Conference. That league is working on a plan to have western and eastern divisions, according to the Boston Globe. Under this plan, BYU would be part of the Western Division with Air Force and Boise State.
"If a seventh school — which would be dictated by the departure of either Louisville or West Virginia — is needed to get to the desired total of 12 football schools, BYU remains a viable option as a western addition, as well as Memphis, while Temple and East Carolina are the primary schools in the East division of what Big East officials hope will become a competitive BCS conference," the Globe reports. "Of that group of newcomers, Boise, Air Force, BYU, and Navy would be football-only members, while Central Florida, SMU, and Houston would be extended invitations in all sports."
According to the Globe, the western part of the Big East, if BYU is included, would be made up of BYU, Boise State, Air Force, Houston, SMU and Cincinnati. The Eastern division would be comprised of Connecticut, Rutgers, Central Florida, South Florida, West Virginia or Louisville and Navy.
BYU also remains a candidate for the Big 12, according to the Memphis Commercial Appeal.
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Red and Blue Recruits: The evaluation process...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- The Heisman Trophy tracker, Week 8: A Utah...
- Watch it live: 4A girls soccer semifinals
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some redemption'
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke getting an...
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 49
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 48
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 39
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as... 29
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 28
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 26