Kristin Murphy, Deseret News
For weeks, BYU has been considered a candidate for the Big 12, but nothing has materialized at this point. The Big 12 is reportedly considering West Virginia, Louisville and BYU.
Now, there are reports that the Cougars could be invited to the Big East Conference. That league is working on a plan to have western and eastern divisions, according to the Boston Globe. Under this plan, BYU would be part of the Western Division with Air Force and Boise State.
"If a seventh school — which would be dictated by the departure of either Louisville or West Virginia — is needed to get to the desired total of 12 football schools, BYU remains a viable option as a western addition, as well as Memphis, while Temple and East Carolina are the primary schools in the East division of what Big East officials hope will become a competitive BCS conference," the Globe reports. "Of that group of newcomers, Boise, Air Force, BYU, and Navy would be football-only members, while Central Florida, SMU, and Houston would be extended invitations in all sports."
According to the Globe, the western part of the Big East, if BYU is included, would be made up of BYU, Boise State, Air Force, Houston, SMU and Cincinnati. The Eastern division would be comprised of Connecticut, Rutgers, Central Florida, South Florida, West Virginia or Louisville and Navy.
BYU also remains a candidate for the Big 12, according to the Memphis Commercial Appeal.
- Utah Jazz: A look at each player's contract...
- Dick Harmon: The Mangum brothers are a...
- Utah Jazz: Future of Trevor Booker, Joe...
- BYU volleyball: Cougars upset No. 1 Hawai'i...
- Salt Lake marathon is first win for Lehi...
- Utah's second spring scrimmage is 'a dead heat'
- Doug Robinson: The high cost of coaches
- What are the chances? Breaking down NBA...
- Former BYU star Ena fitting in well at... 76
- Utah football: Dres Anderson shines in... 58
- Morning links: Krystkowiak shares his... 32
- Rose still has lofty goals for BYU's... 30
- Dick Harmon: Careers of Aaron... 25
- Mountain West Conference announces... 22
- Morning links: Booker ends the year... 17
- Video: Utah football coaches revved up... 16