BYU baseball: Cougars will play 4 November baseball games in Dominican Republic
Dave Broberg/BYU Athletic Publications
The BYU baseball team will play four games against professional developmental teams for the organizations of the New York Yankees, Boston Red Sox, Texas Rangers, and Kansas City Royals during a tour of the Dominican Republic over Thanksgiving break.
In addition, the Cougars will conduct a fireside and participate in a service project while in the country.
For BYU coach Vance Law, it will be a return trip to the Dominican Republic where he played during the winters of 1980 and 1981 for Las Aguilas in Santiago while he was a member of the Pittsburgh Pirates.
“It will be a fun and enlightening experience for our baseball team to go to an area where baseball is king and the young people see it as a vehicle to get out of poverty,” said BYU coach Vance Law. “We are looking forward to playing, providing service, and meeting with members of the church in that area of the world. Personally, I am looking forward to returning to this beautiful (place).”
Current Cougar baseball players Alex Wolfe, Bret Lopez and Stephen Wells served two-year missions for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to nearby Puerto Rico and first baseman/DH Chase Frampton served the first part of his mission in Santo Domingo.
“Our plans include doing a couple of firesides the Sunday after we arrive and a big service project on Wednesday where our guys will be able to distribute a large amount of used baseball gear that has been collected,” said Law.
BYU players will be taking used baseball equipment they have gathered in an effort to improve that situation in the DR.
Law and newly-hired pitching coach Wally Ritchie conducted clinics in the Dominican Republic in November 1992 with former Cougars Bobby Noel, Chris Cooper, Scott Nielsen and BYU alum/major leaguer Dale Murphy.
The BYU baseball team has visited Italy (1974) and Mexico (1965 and 1982) in similar ventures, but no BYU team has previously been to the Dominican Republic.
Ralph R. Zobell has worked for BYU Athletic Media Relations in various capacities for over 30 years. You can view his bio at http://byucougars.com/staff/athletics/ralph-zobell or contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Dick Harmon: So, another Kaufusi goes hybrid...
- Morning links: BYU's Eric Mika returns from...
- Morning links: 4 Utahns on ESPN 300 football...
- 2016 NFL draft: Local players who might hear...
- BYU football announces full spring fireside...
- Niumatalolo and Navy make another trip to the...
- The BYU international basketball tracker: How...
- BYU basketball: Cougars to play USC Dec. 3 at...
- Morning links: BYU's Eric Mika returns... 67
- BYU basketball: Cougars to play USC... 45
- BYU volleyball: Cougars earn No. 1 seed... 26
- BYU's Kaufusi an intriguing NFL... 26
- Morning links: NFL Draft prospect news... 18
- Oakland Raiders owner says he will... 14
- 2016 NFL draft: Local players who might... 13
- Gobert 'disappointed' with 2015-16 but... 11