Mark A. Philbrick/BYU
There was more craziness in the world of conference realignment on Tuesday and it's expected to continue.
BYU had been considered a leading candidate to join the Big 12, but nothing has happened. There are reports that Notre Dame, which is independent, could move its other sports from the Big East to the Big 12.
The Oklahoman columnist Berry Tramel writes that an affiliation with Notre Dame would be good for the Big 12, and that perhaps the Cougars could be part of the Big 12 in football only.
"Heck, the Big 12 might even be able to add Brigham Young as a football-only member to counter Notre Dame. Sure, such a mongrel conference would be squirrelly. But the Big 12 is long past the point of worrying about appearances ... BYU in for football, Notre Dame in all other sports. Brigham Young's non-football teams are competing in the West Coast Conference; football is BYU's most pressing need. All the other sports are Notre Dame's most pressing need. So that might work."
BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall addressed the issue of conference realignment on his weekly radio show Wednesday night. The coach suggested that the culture of BYU could be keeping the Cougars out of the Big 12.
- Former BYU linebacker Kyle Van Noy undergoes...
- First steps: Utes open season with 56-14 win...
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big 12...
- BYU starting cornerbacks Jordan Johnson,...
- BYU Cougars looking for opening-game...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very little
- Felt's Facts Week 2: Utah high school...
- College football predictions: How will... 140
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 60
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 48
- Utah football: Utes eye successful start 42