Mark A. Philbrick/BYU
There was more craziness in the world of conference realignment on Tuesday and it's expected to continue.
BYU had been considered a leading candidate to join the Big 12, but nothing has happened. There are reports that Notre Dame, which is independent, could move its other sports from the Big East to the Big 12.
The Oklahoman columnist Berry Tramel writes that an affiliation with Notre Dame would be good for the Big 12, and that perhaps the Cougars could be part of the Big 12 in football only.
"Heck, the Big 12 might even be able to add Brigham Young as a football-only member to counter Notre Dame. Sure, such a mongrel conference would be squirrelly. But the Big 12 is long past the point of worrying about appearances ... BYU in for football, Notre Dame in all other sports. Brigham Young's non-football teams are competing in the West Coast Conference; football is BYU's most pressing need. All the other sports are Notre Dame's most pressing need. So that might work."
BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall addressed the issue of conference realignment on his weekly radio show Wednesday night. The coach suggested that the culture of BYU could be keeping the Cougars out of the Big 12.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 123
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 28
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 24
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 22
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21