SALT LAKE CITY — The 3rd District Judicial Nominating Commission has selected five candidates to potentially fill an upcoming vacancy in the court.
S. Grace Acosta, of Scalley, Reading, Bates, Hansen and Rasmussen, Paul Parker of the Salt Lake County District Attorney's Office, James Blanch of Parsons, Behle and Latimer, Curtis Garner of the Utah Board of Pardons and Parole and Philip Lott of the Utah Attorney General's Office are to be considered by the public and Utah Governor Gary Herbert for the opening position on the 3rd District Court bench.
The vacancy came with the retirement of Judge Sandra Peuler, whose retirement goes into effect Jan. 1, 2012. The 3rd District Court's judicial district includes Salt Lake, Tooele and Summit Counties.
The nominating commission will accept written comments on the nominees from the public until 5 p.m. on Oct. 31. Comments should be sent to 3rd District Judicial Nominating Commission Chair, Deirdre Straight, at the Commission on Criminal and Juvenile Justice at P.O. Box 142330, Salt Lake City, UT 84114-2330.
Following a review of the public comments, the nominating commission may request further information or investigation of the nominees. The names will be sent to the governor who has 30 days to make an appointment. Gov. Herbert's appointee will then be subject to confirmation by the Utah Senate.
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed in...
- Union Pacific train makes special delivery...
- West Nile activity discovered in three Utah...
- Community rallies for Kamas family after...
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake team...
- Embattled doctor surrenders Utah medical license
- Pioneer Day celebrations set throughout Utah
- Dancing stars Julianne and Derek Hough visit...
- Supreme Court issues stay in Utah gay... 80
- Herbert among 6 governors raising... 30
- Utah unemployment rate second lowest in... 19
- South Jordan councilman wants school... 18
- Anti-porn rally aims at keeping... 15
- Brain injury changes the lives and... 15
- Ex A.G.s John Swallow, Mark Shurtleff... 14
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed... 13