Last phase of Big Cottonwood Canyon Trail under way soon
Tom Smart, Deseret News
COTTONWOOD HEIGHTS — The last stage of the Big Cottonwood Canyon Trail is in the final design stages and should be going out to bid in about a month.
When finished, possibly by April, the trail will stretch from near 6200 South, where it crosses under I-215, to the mouth of Big Cottonwood Canyon, where it will cross under Wasatch Boulevard.
About three-fourths of the 10-foot-wide asphalt trail has already been completed and sees plenty of use, said Brad Gilson, Cottonwood Heights city engineer. "We get people from the neighborhoods and people from the (Cottonwood) Corporate Center on their lunch hour," he said. "There are not a lot of east-west trail connections like this."
The trail is designed for nonmotorized traffic, including bicycles and skates.
The final, easternmost segment of the 2.6-mile trail will be built on land owned by Murray city around wells for the city's culinary water system.
"Every piece of property that has been used on this project has been donated," Gilson said. Construction funds include about $750,000 from the state, about $547,000 from Zoo, Arts and Parks funds, another $750,000 in federal funds anticipated for the final construction segment. Cottonwood Heights is paying a 20 percent match on all of the costs, Gilson said.
Future enhancements on the trail route include a fishing pond and storm water infrastructure improvements. Beyond that, Gilson said it's possible the trail will be connected, outside of Cottonwood Heights' boundaries, with a new trail in Big Cottonwood Canyon on the east and into Holladay on the west.
- Strack family: Search warrants begin 'to...
- Search warrants: Poisoning suspected in...
- Crash on U.S. 40 west of Vernal injures 3,...
- New poll shows Love, Owens race tightens;...
- Orem’s most notorious eyesore to be...
- Prison relocation process slows down
- 'The time is right' for a digital conversion,...
- Three amendments to Utah Constitution on the...
- Doug Owens ahead of Mia Love in new poll 59
- Most Utah students aren't proficient in... 54
- New poll shows Love, Owens race... 43
- State autopsy: Police shot Darrien Hunt... 34
- Officers say they shot Darrien Hunt out... 30
- Final debate between Mia Love and Doug... 25
- Utah among lowest in nation in... 21
- 'The time is right' for a digital... 21