It was “Back in Black” night as the Roy Royals hosted the Mountain Crest Mustangs Friday. Royal Pride also was back as Roy defeated Mountain Crest 17-14 behind quarterback Garrett Bowman.
“Back in Black” was the slogan of the 1981 Roy High Royals state champions in football. On Friday, the Royals invited members of the 1981 team and coaching staff to the game. The Roy alumni were recognized during halftime. In 1981, the Royals played the Bountiful Braves for the second straight season to decide the state champions. Bountiful had beaten Roy the previous season, but in 1981, the Royals got their revenge, defeating the Braves 17-13.
“Oh it was great, the team came out, we played really well," Roy quarterback Bowman said about winning on “Back in Black” night. "We struggled in the first half a little bit. We came out and had a good second half, so it was a good win to send us out on a good note.”
Mountain Crest took the lead into halftime 7-3 in what was a defensive first half battle. Both teams were held scoreless through the first quarter. Bowman scored on a quarterback sneak with 3:52 remaining in the third quarter, making the score 10-7.
Later, Bowman threw what would be the winning touchdown with 10 minutes remaining in the fourth quarter, putting Roy ahead 17-7. Bowman threw a six-yard pass caught by Jake Trujillo in the end zone. Mountain Crest scored late in the fourth quarter on a 30-yard throw and run touchdown, tightening the score at 17-14.
Roy gave Mountain Crest some life when the Mustangs intercepted a ball thrown in the end zone with 2:34 remaining in the game. Roy's defense stood up to the challenge and forced a Mountain Crest turnover on downs, sealing the game for the Royals' win.
- Week 17 NFL locals roundup & gallery: Ansah...
- Prep Wrestling: state's best wrestlers to...
- How to watch Utah football stars, local...
- Herriman brothers say their bond, competition...
- Prep Wrestling: Mountain View wins Bruin Classic
- Utahns who made us love sports in 2015
- High school basketball: Morby's last-second...
- MountainStar Healthcare Star Athletes of Week 20
- Locals and the NFL playoffs: Alex... 1
- Herriman brothers say their bond,... 1
- Utahns who made us love sports in 2015 0
- High school basketball: Morby's... 0
- How to watch Utah football stars, local... 0
- Prep Wrestling: state's best wrestlers... 0
- Prep Wrestling: Mountain View wins... 0
- Week 17 NFL locals roundup & gallery:... 0