It was “Back in Black” night as the Roy Royals hosted the Mountain Crest Mustangs Friday. Royal Pride also was back as Roy defeated Mountain Crest 17-14 behind quarterback Garrett Bowman.
“Back in Black” was the slogan of the 1981 Roy High Royals state champions in football. On Friday, the Royals invited members of the 1981 team and coaching staff to the game. The Roy alumni were recognized during halftime. In 1981, the Royals played the Bountiful Braves for the second straight season to decide the state champions. Bountiful had beaten Roy the previous season, but in 1981, the Royals got their revenge, defeating the Braves 17-13.
“Oh it was great, the team came out, we played really well," Roy quarterback Bowman said about winning on “Back in Black” night. "We struggled in the first half a little bit. We came out and had a good second half, so it was a good win to send us out on a good note.”
Mountain Crest took the lead into halftime 7-3 in what was a defensive first half battle. Both teams were held scoreless through the first quarter. Bowman scored on a quarterback sneak with 3:52 remaining in the third quarter, making the score 10-7.
Later, Bowman threw what would be the winning touchdown with 10 minutes remaining in the fourth quarter, putting Roy ahead 17-7. Bowman threw a six-yard pass caught by Jake Trujillo in the end zone. Mountain Crest scored late in the fourth quarter on a 30-yard throw and run touchdown, tightening the score at 17-14.
Roy gave Mountain Crest some life when the Mustangs intercepted a ball thrown in the end zone with 2:34 remaining in the game. Roy's defense stood up to the challenge and forced a Mountain Crest turnover on downs, sealing the game for the Royals' win.
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- Morning links: BYU's Taysom Hill's future...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- BYU football: Fred Warner, other...
- Brad Rock: Hill, Keeton, Booker not the best...
- 5 things Utah football needs for coming season
- Utahns in baseball: Former Ute Morin plays...
- High school football: Hillcrest Huskies 2015...
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 55
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 45
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into... 35
- Whittingham says Hatfield is still... 29
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule... 23
- Morning links: BYU's Taysom Hill's... 23
- Pac-12 media day: Utah Kyle Whittingham... 16
- Morning links: BYU letting fans... 16