"THE GIRL WHO NEVER MADE MISTAKES," by Mark Pett and Gary Rubinstein, illustrated by Mark Pettby, Sourceworks Jabberwocky, $14.95, 32 pages (ages 5-7)
Mistakes are part of growing up.
But Beatrice never made mistakes.
Mistakes happen if you aren’t careful.
Not for Beatrice. She was always careful and never made mistakes in "The Girl Who Never Made Mistakes" by Salt Lake City author and illustrator Mark Pett and Gary Rubenstein.
Beatrice was always prepared, made her bed, did her homework and fixed her lunch with care. She was planning on being excellent in the school talent show.
But a near miss in cooking class caused her an “Almost mistake!" “I’m worried I’ll let everyone down in the talent show tonight.”
Her juggling act literally fell apart in the show and Beatrice had to make a quick decision, “Cry? Or run off the stage?”
Beatrice did neither one.
The emotional message of being obsessively perfect will not be lost on young readers. Many children, either through personal goals or from familial pressures, “never make a mistake” without emotional consequences. The authors have offered alternatives to reacting badly to mistakes by laughing a lot, taking chances and even wearing different colored socks.
The lively wash drawings carry the story along briskly while the cartoon-like inner panels add depth and a side story.
Pett has drawn cartoons and caricatures since the age of 8. His college degree in philosophy was followed by a stint as an English teacher in Prague, a sixth-grade teacher in Mississippi and a free-lance cartoonist (some of which have appeared in both daily Salt Lake City newspapers).
Pett was named Utah’s most outstanding editorial cartoonist in 1998.
He will be signing “The Girl Who Never Made Mistakes” at The King's English Bookshop on Oct. 22 at 11 a.m.
IF YOU GO:
What: Mark Pett book signing
When: Saturday, Oct. 22, 11 a.m.
Where: The King’s English Bookshop, 1511 S. 1500 East, Salt Lake City
When: Tuesday, Oct. 25, 7 p.m.
Where: Barnes & Noble, 7157 Plaza Center Drive, West Jordan
- Toddler basketball star, 'Trick-Shot-Titus,'...
- About Utah: He finally landed the role of his...
- 'Deseret News Sunday Edition' looks at Sharia...
- 4 recently released LDS picture books
- Tips for LDS bloggers from the 'ultimate...
- Tabernacle hosts annual LDS Latino Christmas...
- Expelling Santa from school? Holiday...
- The Killers collaborates with Owen Wilson and...
- Expelling Santa from school? Holiday... 16
- 'Sound of Music' alive for 18.5 million... 13
- TV Review: Broadway wins in live 'Sound... 12
- 'Deseret News Sunday Edition' looks at... 10
- Tips for LDS bloggers from the... 8
- 'Sound of Music' hit a high note for... 8
- The Killers collaborates with Owen... 7
- Saving Africa? New book casts harsh... 6