Sunday, Oct. 30, at 8 p.m. ET / 6 p.m. MT & 11 p.m. ET / 9 p.m. MT Wednesday, Nov. 2, at 9 p.m. ET / 7 p.m. MT & midnight ET / 10 p.m. MT
Timeline for the Coming Forth of the King James Bible
1408 – A decree known as “The Constitutions of Oxford” makes translation of the whole Bible or any part of it into English illegal.
1523 – William Tyndale seeks special permission to translate the bible and is denied by the English church.
1536 – Tyndale is charged with heresy and condemned to death. He is strangled and burned at the stake.
1539 – “The Great Bible” is authorized by King Henry VIII and printed as the first Bible in English. It contains the majority of Tyndale’s translation.
1611 – King James orders the translation of a new bible. It features Tyndale’s work and becomes known as the King James Bible.
1620 – An early edition of the King James Bible arrives in America on the Mayflower.
1789 – George Washington is sworn as the first president of the United States in using a 1767 edition of the King James Bible, starting a longstanding tradition of swearing in presidents at their inaugurations.
1861-1865 – During the Civil War, more than three million King James Bibles are distributed to both Union and Confederate troops.
1963 – Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. gives his famous “I have a dream” speech is influenced by passages in the King James Bible (Psalms 30:5, Isaiah 40:4 and Amos 5:24).
2011 – The King James Bible celebrates its 400th anniversary.
- Sister Frances J. Monson's legacy of love...
- LDS Church responds to Boy Scouts of...
- Mormon Parenting: Don’t call gay unions...
- USA Today takes note of LDS sister missionaries
- Defending the Faith: A case for the...
- Live streaming: Frances J. Monson funeral
- Courage and valor: A bizarre order for a WWII...
- 'Tattooed Mormon' Al Fox shares her...
- LDS Church responds to Boy Scouts of... 77
- Defending the Faith: A case for the... 59
- Mormon Parenting: Don’t call gay... 55
- 'Tattooed Mormon' Al Fox shares her... 42
- Secretary of State John Kerry says... 28
- Muslim leaders in U.S. facing... 25
- 'We're here to serve all boys,' Utah... 23
- Wright Words: Oklahoma tornado provides... 23