BYUtv tells story of the King James Bible in 'Fires of Faith'
Sunday, Oct. 30, at 8 p.m. ET / 6 p.m. MT & 11 p.m. ET / 9 p.m. MT Wednesday, Nov. 2, at 9 p.m. ET / 7 p.m. MT & midnight ET / 10 p.m. MT
Timeline for the Coming Forth of the King James Bible
1408 – A decree known as “The Constitutions of Oxford” makes translation of the whole Bible or any part of it into English illegal.
1523 – William Tyndale seeks special permission to translate the bible and is denied by the English church.
1536 – Tyndale is charged with heresy and condemned to death. He is strangled and burned at the stake.
1539 – “The Great Bible” is authorized by King Henry VIII and printed as the first Bible in English. It contains the majority of Tyndale’s translation.
1611 – King James orders the translation of a new bible. It features Tyndale’s work and becomes known as the King James Bible.
1620 – An early edition of the King James Bible arrives in America on the Mayflower.
1789 – George Washington is sworn as the first president of the United States in using a 1767 edition of the King James Bible, starting a longstanding tradition of swearing in presidents at their inaugurations.
1861-1865 – During the Civil War, more than three million King James Bibles are distributed to both Union and Confederate troops.
1963 – Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. gives his famous “I have a dream” speech is influenced by passages in the King James Bible (Psalms 30:5, Isaiah 40:4 and Amos 5:24).
2011 – The King James Bible celebrates its 400th anniversary.
- Elder Ballard, other LDS Church leaders...
- LDS missionaries in some countries no longer...
- Desire to serve: Even a gunshot couldn't keep...
- LDS Church leaders release video Q&A...
- LDS Church donates to Utah Pride Center's...
- First Presidency sends letter with counsel...
- 'A beautiful day' in Haiti: Early converts...
- Episcopal Church becomes third Protestant...
- What the LDS Church said about the... 180
- First Presidency sends letter with... 149
- When Satan steals your motherhood 87
- LDS Church donates to Utah Pride... 59
- Episcopal Church becomes third... 45
- Episcopal bishops seek end to 'unholy... 42
- Where were the Twelve Apostles when... 34
- LDS Church leaders release letter about... 31