Blue roundup: BYU-Utah rivalry impacted by conference realignment
Conference realignment is affecting rivalries around the country, including the BYU-Utah rivalry.
USA Today examines some of the traditional rivalries that are losing their luster or could be headed toward extinction. Utah is in its first year in the Pac-12 while BYU is in its first year as an independent.
"We still plan on playing, but it's hard to plan far into the future because we don't know yet about their (conference) position," Utah athletics director Chris Hill told USA Today. "We have talked about continuing the series, and right now we're talking about two-year contracts because we want to be cautious going forward until we get a better handle on things."
Jon Wilner of the San Jose Mercury News looks into the chances of BYU going to the Big 12.
"Despite a bevy of internet reports indicating BYU to the Big 12 was essentially a done deal, I have not confirmed that the parties are anywhere close. In fact, my sense is that the Big 12 would have to beg BYU, with concessions in hand, and it’s hard to to imagine that happening ... And without BYU, there is no way Boise State’s getting into the Big 12, despite the best behind-the-scenes efforts of president Bob Kustra. (It would have been tough for Boise State even with BYU.)"
Finally, Saturday's BYU-Oregon State game will feature a family reunion of sorts. OSU middle linebacker Kevin “Feti’’ Unga's twin brother, Devin "Uani" Unga, transferred from Oregon State to BYU after last season. Devin Unga is currently a walk-on at BYU.
“He’s supporting family right now,’’ Feti Unga told the Oregonian about his twin brother, who will pay his own way to Corvallis to watch the game. “He’ll be wearing black and orange.’’
- Rio Olympic organizers unveil village where...
- Agent: LeBron James to skip Rio Olympics
- Utah Jazz select Baylor forward Taurean...
- Magic land Serge Ibaka in draft-night trade...
- 76ers take Ben Simmons with No. 1 pick in NBA...
- Pistorius shown in TV interview ahead of...
- NFL to interview Matthew, Peppers, Harrison...
- North Carolina AD: School will respond to...
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 160
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 66
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 51
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 40
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 32
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 32
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 20
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 19