Blue roundup: BYU-Utah rivalry impacted by conference realignment
Conference realignment is affecting rivalries around the country, including the BYU-Utah rivalry.
USA Today examines some of the traditional rivalries that are losing their luster or could be headed toward extinction. Utah is in its first year in the Pac-12 while BYU is in its first year as an independent.
"We still plan on playing, but it's hard to plan far into the future because we don't know yet about their (conference) position," Utah athletics director Chris Hill told USA Today. "We have talked about continuing the series, and right now we're talking about two-year contracts because we want to be cautious going forward until we get a better handle on things."
Jon Wilner of the San Jose Mercury News looks into the chances of BYU going to the Big 12.
"Despite a bevy of internet reports indicating BYU to the Big 12 was essentially a done deal, I have not confirmed that the parties are anywhere close. In fact, my sense is that the Big 12 would have to beg BYU, with concessions in hand, and it’s hard to to imagine that happening ... And without BYU, there is no way Boise State’s getting into the Big 12, despite the best behind-the-scenes efforts of president Bob Kustra. (It would have been tough for Boise State even with BYU.)"
Finally, Saturday's BYU-Oregon State game will feature a family reunion of sorts. OSU middle linebacker Kevin “Feti’’ Unga's twin brother, Devin "Uani" Unga, transferred from Oregon State to BYU after last season. Devin Unga is currently a walk-on at BYU.
“He’s supporting family right now,’’ Feti Unga told the Oregonian about his twin brother, who will pay his own way to Corvallis to watch the game. “He’ll be wearing black and orange.’’
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- Rock On: Utah, please play Idaho State annually
- BYU football: Texas quarterback David Ash out...
- Utah football: Utes to take on a familiar...
- Utah State infographic: Aggies' Keeton...
- Guest commentary: BYU football fans should...
- First steps: Utes open season with... 66
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 59
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 59
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands... 29
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora... 28