SEATTLE — A Nov. 16 jury trial has been scheduled for the father-in-law of Susan Cox Powell, the West Valley mother who has been missing for nearly two years.
Steven Powell is facing charges of possession of child pornography and 14 counts of voyeurism. He was arrested Sept. 22 after police say they found photos of young neighbor children in their own bathroom that Powell had allegedly taken with a telephoto lens without their knowledge.
Days after his arrest, Judge Kathryn Nelson ordered that Susan and Josh Powell's two boys be removed from the home where they were living with their father and grandfather, Steven Powell. She said there was a "serious threat of substantial harm" if the Powell boys, ages 4 and 6, were allowed to return to the home of Josh and Steven Powell. She said she "cannot return the children home at this time to the father" and sent the two boys to live with their maternal grandparents, Chuck and Judy Cox, at least for several weeks.
Another court hearing on that matter is scheduled for Nov. 15.
Meanwhile, a restraining order previously filed against Chuck Cox by Josh Powell has been amended.
Earlier this year, Josh Powell filed a restraining order against his father-in-law claiming that Cox was threatening him. In August, a judge denied the petition saying nothing in it rose to the level of domestic violence.
The judge did, however, issue an anti-harassment order "to keep the peace," telling both sides to stay at least 500 feet away from each other.
According to court documents, Josh Powell has asked that the 500 feet order be re-continued "after placement of minor children terminates." Because the initial order prohibited Cox from coming within 500 feet of the school of one of Josh Powell's sons, the restraining order had to be amended after the Cox family was awarded temporary custody of their grandchildren so they could take him to school.
Also filed in court this week were certificates showing that Chuck and Judy Cox completed a seminar on the "Impact of Divorce on Children" in January 2010 in Washington.
- Parents say daughter didn't understand her...
- Utah mother who left 11-month-old in hot car...
- Attorney general deciding whether to appeal...
- Newborn found in trash can brings call for help
- Trial ordered for Cameo Crispi, accused of...
- Donations to North Salt Lake family displaced...
- Carbon monoxide leak suspected in death of 2...
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh Hewitt...
- Back (home) to school: Thousands of... 53
- New poll shows many Utahns oppose and... 49
- Court allows Utah more time to file gay... 42
- Carbon monoxide leak suspected in death... 35
- Newborn found in trash can brings call... 34
- 3 Mormon missionaries die in 2 separate... 30
- Audit reveals major concerns about UTA... 26
- Woman accused of leaving young son... 21