SEATTLE — A Nov. 16 jury trial has been scheduled for the father-in-law of Susan Cox Powell, the West Valley mother who has been missing for nearly two years.
Steven Powell is facing charges of possession of child pornography and 14 counts of voyeurism. He was arrested Sept. 22 after police say they found photos of young neighbor children in their own bathroom that Powell had allegedly taken with a telephoto lens without their knowledge.
Days after his arrest, Judge Kathryn Nelson ordered that Susan and Josh Powell's two boys be removed from the home where they were living with their father and grandfather, Steven Powell. She said there was a "serious threat of substantial harm" if the Powell boys, ages 4 and 6, were allowed to return to the home of Josh and Steven Powell. She said she "cannot return the children home at this time to the father" and sent the two boys to live with their maternal grandparents, Chuck and Judy Cox, at least for several weeks.
Another court hearing on that matter is scheduled for Nov. 15.
Meanwhile, a restraining order previously filed against Chuck Cox by Josh Powell has been amended.
Earlier this year, Josh Powell filed a restraining order against his father-in-law claiming that Cox was threatening him. In August, a judge denied the petition saying nothing in it rose to the level of domestic violence.
The judge did, however, issue an anti-harassment order "to keep the peace," telling both sides to stay at least 500 feet away from each other.
According to court documents, Josh Powell has asked that the 500 feet order be re-continued "after placement of minor children terminates." Because the initial order prohibited Cox from coming within 500 feet of the school of one of Josh Powell's sons, the restraining order had to be amended after the Cox family was awarded temporary custody of their grandchildren so they could take him to school.
Also filed in court this week were certificates showing that Chuck and Judy Cox completed a seminar on the "Impact of Divorce on Children" in January 2010 in Washington.
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed in...
- Supreme Court issues stay in Utah gay...
- Brain injury changes the lives and tests the...
- Union Pacific train makes special delivery...
- Splashing through the city: Giant slip and...
- Dancing stars Julianne and Derek Hough visit...
- A photographic look at how Days of '47 floats...
- Embattled doctor surrenders Utah medical license
- Supreme Court issues stay in Utah gay... 75
- Supporters rally around breast-feeding... 71
- Gov. says Utah will comply with law if... 59
- Herbert on Common Core: 'We are going... 37
- Utah unemployment rate second lowest in... 19
- $1.8B project to take Salt Lake City... 17
- South Jordan councilman wants school... 17
- Anti-porn rally aims at keeping... 14